Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adhesive for gluing together PVC Garage Flooring tiles/mats?

Adhesive for gluing together PVC Garage Flooring tiles/mats?

Currently I am trying to fabricate a divided multi sectional insert for my Granite Gear bag to hold an 11x14 Chamonix and more. Am using cut up Husky Gray PVC Garage Flooring Tiles (from Home Depot). Husky is of no help because the mats are interlocking and no one ever wants to glue them together. Home Depot sales persons of little help. Google it and TrueLock Super Sticky Double Sided Garage Mat & Carpet Tape was recommended... great if the floor tiles are flat, but I want or glue them together at 90 degree angles. Local hardware store had glue/adhesive recommendations but the sales person told me that honestly they were educated guesses on his part.

Any recommendations out there?

Thought of using contact cement, but that's a stab in the dark on my part. My experiences with using contact cement are that exact alignment is a necessity, and repositioning not an option.

thanks in advance

Re: Adhesive for gluing together PVC Garage Flooring tiles/mats?

Any plastic supply store.

Not familiar with them, are they foam or solid material ?
    If they're PVC use PVC glue, looking at the info on the HD site those tiles are awfully thin to edge glue in my opinion.

I'm curious as to why you're using that material when you can use EVA foam ( Cosplay foam ) to make dividers
    the foam will add some cushioning, and if you want stiffer walls sandwich 1/8 or 1/4" plywood
    between thin sheets of foam.
    EVA foam glues really well with regular contact cement ( Weldwood red label ).

I would question why you want to pad the camera at all. I bought the portage pack and made a GG protector similar to yours. After putting film holders in cordura cases on both sides of the camera, I think it’s pretty well protected. Maybe a pad on the bottom of the pack would be a good idea, but I don’t see the need for a compartmented enclosure. I would be interested in why you are going this route.

Genuine Ford Fluid TA-31 RTV Silicone Sealant

If this stuff sticks it will never come apart. Sometimes it will permanently bond an oil pan to an engine block. The only way to get it off is to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wolfe View Post
    I would question why you want to pad the camera at all.
    Since the mid 1970s, I have always liked to take short hikes up roadside streams here in New England looking for waterfalls and other things to photograph. Inevitably this involves some 4th class hiking and more than once my backpack has "kissed" a rock or two. If it weren't for my backpacks having protective padding in them, I most certainly would have had some of my equipment damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Not familiar with them, are they foam or solid material ?
    If they're PVC use PVC glue, looking at the info on the HD site those tiles are awfully thin to edge glue in my opinion.

I'm curious as to why you're using that material when you can use EVA foam ( Cosplay foam ) to make dividers
    the foam will add some cushioning, and if you want stiffer walls sandwich 1/8 or 1/4" plywood
    between thin sheets of foam.
    EVA foam glues really well with regular contact cement ( Weldwood red label ).
    More like solid material than soft foam. Use it because I had several sheets of it left over from a project. I initially wanted to construct a box with dividers made from 1/8 " plywood with glued foam inserts, but the build quickly became too complicated especially with having to make all the right angle corners rigid.

I prefer to use Coroplast as it is very light, sturdy, no dust

easy to cut and cheap

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplas...896S/205351385
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    More like solid material than soft foam. Use it because I had several sheets of it left over from a project. I initially wanted to construct a box with dividers made from 1/8 " plywood with glued foam inserts, but the build quickly became too complicated especially with having to make all the right angle corners rigid.
    I would think a soft-ish box would be better rather than a rigid one because of potential collisions.
    You should look into EVA foam and polyethylene foam, this is a supplier I use, since I'm local
    I usually walk in to buy, I don't know if they do mail order.
    https://www.canalrubber.com/eva-foam-sheeting/

I wouldn't bother with glue. Tape your sections together (duct tape or whatever). Use double-stick tape for securing them when needed.

Doremus