Thread: Link to Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop video

Link to Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop video

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Link to Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop video

I suspect many experienced LF users here have their own way of doing things, but I'd imagine those starting out or wanting to improve, would benefit from just about everything shown in that video. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for this!

At 16:45, is that a viewfinder he brings up to his eyes?

Old School Wayne

Thanks. At least now I got what i paid for when I got from an old guy a few years ago and it had no sound. The same guy who took my Kalloflex TLR apart but was too old to figure out how to put it back together. Fortunately I got the latter back from him, in pieces, months before he passed. And now I have sound.

Not that I think I'll ever watch it. I think he gave it to me as partial payment on something else he screwed up. It wasn't really something I sought out.

Thanks for posting this link! Watching him brings back many memories of attending his workshop in 1979 and visiting him over many subsequent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    At 16:45, is that a viewfinder he brings up to his eyes?

That's a viewing filter, intended to help the eye better distinguish tonal relationships without being distracted by the color within the scene.
    In reality it is a Wratten #90 filter. Zone VI sold these, sandwiched between glass, in a small plastic frame which had an opening sized to match the aspect ratio of your chosen format. So this was a takeoff on Ansel's viewing card combined with the Wratten #90 as an aid in visualization.

Ah, the Fredster!....
    This guy, probably more than any other, set the hook for me in LF photography and photography in general back in the late '70's/early '80's...
    Met him once in Hanover, NH at a camera store (of all places, right?). But I have never seen his video until now. Thanks for posting PdS!

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    That's a viewing filter, intended to help the eye better distinguish tonal relationships without being distracted by the color within the scene.
    In reality it is a Wratten #90 filter. Zone VI sold these, sandwiched between glass, in a small plastic frame which had an opening sized to match the aspect ratio of your chosen format. So this was a takeoff on Ansel's viewing card combined with the Wratten #90 as an aid in visualization.
    Thanks William!

There are some nuggets in his videos (and newsletters) that still ring true for me. One of my favorites: "don't sell (prints) by the square yard".

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post

Ah, the Fredster!....
    This guy, probably more than any other, set the hook for me in LF photography and photography in general back in the late '70's/early '80's...
    Met him once in Hanover, NH at a camera store (of all places, right?). But I have never seen his video until now. Thanks for posting PdS!
    Same here.