Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camera / tripod brace for vibration

Re: Camera / tripod brace for vibration

A lightweight, adjustable hiking pole to prop up the lens or camera probably would work well in a pinch. If hiking with the camera in a pack, you likely would be using a hiking pole anyway. But obviously the comments above provide steadier alternatives.
    Keith

Thank you Bernice. I thank you for all of your thoughts. I have noticed that the longer the extension the more problems seen to occur. I have been experimenting with a second tripod - but I think that I have not had a secured connection with the camera rail front. I just purchased a telescoping pivoting extension device that will connect the front of the camera to a leg and camera with clamps at both ends. I think that this will help solve some of the issues. I have been using both bellows factor and resiprosity factor in the exposures of the film (HP5 and Tri-x).

Urmem, I have not tried weighting the tripod down yet but I will try it.

Neil you are absolutely correct. The heavier the camera the more stress (moment arm) there is on the tripod to camera joint. The tripod is basically a three dimensional truss - so its not moving. But the tripod head to the camera is very loose - almost a hinge joint. A magnesium C1 would be my choice.

Drew Wiley

I've described my custom with very long lenses or bellow extensions many times before on various forum. No tripod head at all. Everything gets thru-bolted right to the platform top of the tripod (Ries have excellent platform tops). In the case of monorails like the Norma, if I happen to need two rail clamps, I make my own double rail mount out of a 1X3" bar of maple hardwood; again, bolted directly to the tripod top. No need for an accessory brace. But that would be a good idea if a lighter weight less rigid tripod were involved. I never repurpose hiking poles. I often need them for their original purpose even moving around the camera position. I've set up long shots in some awfully precarious places.

8x10 Norma FOBA C40 165 Sinar Super Angulon by Nokton48, on Flickr

This camera doesn't vibrate. My 8x10 Sinar Norma with FOBA C40 Tripod and Norma Pan Tilt Head. About as good as it can get for me. That's a spring loaded rabbit ear iris mechanism Sinar Norma 165mm F8 Super Angulon. Some day I will find the correct vintage center filter for it
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain