Thread: Suggestions sought for exploring swamp habitats along Gulf Coast over to Florida.

Suggestions sought for exploring swamp habitats along Gulf Coast over to Florida.

This spring I will be traveling with my cameras down the Natchez Trace Parkway from near Nashville to Natchez, and then along the Gulf Coast over to the Florida Panhandle, and I'd appreciate any suggestions for cypress swamp habitats (such as at state parks or wildlife sanctuaries) that are available for photographing along the way. I explored the NT Pkwy in March 2018, but not along the Gulf Coast. I know there will be lots of small, rural towns along the way also. One of the areas I have seen some nice pictures from is Sutton Creek in Blountstown FL. Thanks in advance for your suggestions...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Re: Suggestions sought for exploring swamp habitats along Gulf Coast over to Florida.

That sounds like a great adventure--I know mostly the uplands of Southeast, but it might be worth getting some info on the Apalachicola National Forest. Otherwise, Reelfoot Lake in northwest Tennessee might be a nice place to explore if you're simply looking for bald cypress on your way down...

Hopefully LFPF members like Corran and Eric Searing will be able to give you more detailed suggestions, especially if you're able to extend your Florida leg into Clyde Butcher territory down the peninsula.

Re: Suggestions sought for exploring swamp habitats along Gulf Coast over to Florida.

The “swamp walk” at Clyde Butcher’s place is definitely worth the trip. Also, if you can line it up the same weekend he has the darkroom tour and gallery open house, it’s a trifecta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitch

if you are coming thru the panhandle around Tallahassee i can help you with where to go on the Aucilla River and if you like the Quail plantations around thomasville just contact me by email
    Mitch

Have been viewing the Google map's satellite views more and more as I travel. Just last week discovered a frozen over pond and marsh that were about 20 feet from the side of the road but completely hidden from the driver's view. Come spring and these two spots are definite destinations to go back to with my view camera.

Drive a little farther for https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ver-state-park

it will be an experience you will not forget

popdoc, My wife and I have traveled to Naples area in April several times over the years, and on almost every visit I've driven out to Clyde Butcher's Big Cyress Gallery (and sometimes come home with a silver gelatin print, called "Gator Hook"). I've done some photography there in the swamp habitat right near his parking lot, but not taken one of the swamp walks. This time I'll try to make that happen! Thank you...

And my thanks to the suggestions above from others.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo