Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Durst 138S - asking for detailed instructions

Durst 138S - asking for detailed instructions

Hi

Long time lurker first (I think) time poster. Thank you for any instructions offered.

If someone could help with detailed instructions on setting up this Durst 138S I have. At this point it's mostly still in boxes, and of course,
    not broken down into the 4 or 5 generally accepted and referenced sections

I've spent the last 4 or 5 days searching online for info that goes further than: "insert lower column with supporting arm attached", or,
    "there are safety issues associated with the springs". **OK. what should I never touch?**

I'm attaching a picture of my supporting arm and clamping sleeve. The sleeve is held tight against the arm by its cable and its close to immovable. I'm thinking it's necessary
    to loosen the cable in order to attach the sleeve to the lower column after the support arm is attached? I've de-gunked the lower column, the inside
    of the base, the insides of the support arm and clamping sleeve, got the column in the base and then, after reading through the user and service manualsl, realized
    uh...you need help *lmao*

Also...the head is not attached to the upper column - I'm sure it's not just a matter of popping it on is it?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. I live in a totally rural area and the closest (100 miles) source of possible help would be an ebay
    seller who sells Durst parts and I don't know if they're just a reseller or have any knowledge of the enlarger.

Thanks again, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	138S-Carrier-Arm.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	204910

Jan

Re: Durst 138S - asking for detailed instructions

Do you have the manual? If you PM me your Email, I'll send it to you. Luis

Hi, I do have the manual but nowhere does it tell you what to do in order to install the clamping sleeve or separate it from the support arm ... Thank you for your response and tonight I'll go back over
    the manual and service manuals and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again

Jan

I suspect you are not the one that disassembled it?
    I don't think the manual will help. Many people on this forum have this enlarger, with some time someone that has disassembled one will chime in.

No I didn't disassemble it. I bought it - the original purchaser who was overseas didn't want to pay the cost. So...the enlarger had been broken down and packed (complete with wooden crating) into 5 boxes. I've got a condenser head in 1 box, 2 columns in another box, the base in a box, the supporting arm and clamping sleeve in another box, and the condensers, neg carrier and bulb in the last box. The plan is to use the Durst for 4x5 and 6x7 and my little Leitz for 35mm. From all the reading I've been doing regarding putting it back together and the dangers of the springs I came away with the image of a ninja flinging throwing stars if I turned my back on it *lmao* I'll just keep checking back and hope somebody takes pity on me. Thanks again for your help. Jan

My SM-183 uses the same head, but a different base, so I'm not that familiar with the L-138S base. Sorry I can't be of more help. The problem with the spring is if you try to open the spring housing. I've moved two L-138S' but didn't disassemble them to that degree.

L

Thank you Luis! Now I know that if I keep away from the 2 housings (the counterweight spring in the head, and the baseboard) I should come out of this alive I'll just keep looking at it and reading the
    manual/servicing instructions and hopefully I'll have an epiphany. Thanks again, Jan

You don't need an epiphany, just read the (right) manual. The L138S was originally shipped disassembled into its basic parts (base - base column - carrying arm - baseboard - head column - head carrier - head housing) and at least one of the manuals available online (I think the one at durst-pro-usa.com) has relatively detailed assembly instructions with instructive, indexed pictures. This should be enough to assemble the beast unless someone has for some reason decided to break your unit down in much smaller pieces than actually necessary for normal transport. You need only very basic skills and very few tools and it should be really more or less straightforwared and logical job as long as you follow exactly what is written in the manual. If you have problems sourcing the manual mentioned above or are still unsure upon reading the instructions, just post pictures of all the parts of you have and we will help you to sort it out.

Hi Mnemosyne: I looked for the durst-pro-usa-com (they're gone) manuals online and found nothing. Is there anywhere I could get a copy of it? My current roadblock is the carrying arm/clamping sleeve (photo and explanation above). I suspect they retensioned the Bowden cable, hope I'm wrong, in order to hold the sleeve tight to the carrying arm? I'll play with the footpedal again later and see if there is any reaction to it being depressed - I didn't notice anything happening when I tried that earlier. In your breakdown of the basic parts above, where is the clamping sleeve? Thanks for your help all of you - Jan