Thread: Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic - Copal Shutter Help

Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic - Copal Shutter Help

Hello all!

This is my first post here. I've recently come to acquire a lovely 1954 Pacemaker Speed Graphic (4x5) with the Optar 135mm f/4.7 lens. Unfortunately, the glass is not in the best of shape...

I intend to replace the Optar with a Nikkor W 135mm f/5.6 S lens. My question is:

Is the opening on the original Graflex board sufficient to mount the Nikkor as well? So far, my research has been inconclusive. Though, I have heard the size is similar to, if not exactly a Copal #0. My only option otherwise would be to acquire a custom-drilled board.

Thanks!

Ian Martin

Re: Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic - Copal Shutter Help

I believe it would fit, but the only way to know for sure would be to unmount the Optar from the lens board and measure the resulting hole. I have a 135mm optar on an anniversary speed graphic, and the mounting hole is 35.6mm in diameter. I have a feeling it was cut oversized, as the lens shutter itself has a ~33.6mm major thread diameter. Copal 0s mount in a 34.8mm diameter hole. You should be able to swap for the Nikkor with no issues whatsoever.