Thread: Field Optics Research FPH-200 Pan Head Question

Field Optics Research FPH-200 Pan Head Question

Has anyone used the Field Optics Research FPH-200 Pan Head? By what I see it seems like a quality item. I just can't seem to find out just how heavy a load it takes. I have seen numbers from 6.6 lbs to 8 lbs. I am wondering if it will hold my Wisner Technical Field. If anyone has used the head I would love to hear from you! Robbie

Re: Field Optics Research FPH-200 Pan Head Question

Why not just take your camera to Palm Beach Workshop and investigates what will work for you? And then have local support?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why not just take your camera to Palm Beach Workshop and investigates what will work for you? And then have local support?
    Because it's far easier to sit here in my chair and ask you experts.

I recently bought one to replace a ball head on my new tripod, but I have not had a chance to use it yet.

In general, I am please with the purchase. I like its small size, light weight and that it can tilt +-90 degrees front-back and 90 degrees left. My only concern is that the pan is a bit stiff, more-so because when I tighten the set screws in the tripod head to secure the pan head, the screws appear to distort the base a bit, making it harder to pan. I alleviated some of the problem by not over-tightening the set screws and by carefully positioning the pan head relative to the screws so they fit in the shallow depressions in the bottom of the pan head.

The FOR site lists the load at 8 pounds.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_feldman View Post
    I recently bought one to replace a ball head on my new tripod, but I have not had a chance to use it yet.

In general, I am please with the purchase. I like its small size, light weight and that it can tilt +-90 degrees front-back and 90 degrees left. My only concern is that the pan is a bit stiff, more-so because when I tighten the set screws in the tripod head to secure the pan head, the screws appear to distort the base a bit, making it harder to pan. I alleviated some of the problem by not over-tightening the set screws and by carefully positioning the pan head relative to the screws so they fit in the shallow depressions in the bottom of the pan head.

The FOR site lists the load at 8 pounds.

Bob
    Thank you VERY much Bob. This is the information I am seeking and you have given me big hopes. May I ask what weight camera you are intending to use with it? I am about to purchase the head and just need a little more info. Like you, I will be using it as a replacement to my ball heads. I would be using it with my Wisner which weighs about 7 pounds, and also with my smaller cameras. I appreciate your input!

My camera is an Okuhara, an old Japanese half-plate wooden field camera. With a 210mm f9 G-Claron, it weighs about 5 pounds. The pan head holds it stable even when tilted. A picture is attached.

I am having more trouble with mounting the head on my Sirui tripod, however. The way I had it was a bit loose (rotated a bit side-to-side), so I had to tighten it on the tripod's screw post. If I tighten the two set screws too much, however, the panning is very still. I think I have found the proper tightening. I should note that the screw on the tripod cannot be turned on it's own and fixing the pan head on the tripod depends on turning the head until it is tight and then tightening the set screws.

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera on Pan Head.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	213267

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_feldman View Post
    My camera is an Okuhara, an old Japanese half-plate wooden field camera. With a 210mm f9 G-Claron, it weighs about 5 pounds. The pan head holds it stable even when tilted. A picture is attached.

I am having more trouble with mounting the head on my Sirui tripod, however. The way I had it was a bit loose (rotated a bit side-to-side), so I had to tighten it on the tripod's screw post. If I tighten the two set screws too much, however, the panning is very still. I think I have found the proper tightening. I should note that the screw on the tripod cannot be turned on it's own and fixing the pan head on the tripod depends on turning the head until it is tight and then tightening the set screws.

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera on Pan Head.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	213267
    Ah, Perfect. Thank you Bob. Your photo shows me exactly how large the head is. I would be using it on my Manfrotto 55CXPRO3 tripod. It sounds like the same sort of mounting as your tripod. It looks like a perfect match. I will be ordering my new head on Monday. Thank you Bob for your time and effort on this! Robbie