Thread: Which quick release for Arca C1 Cube?

Which quick release for Arca C1 Cube?

Hi everyone,

I want to purchase an Arca C1 Cube head, which will be used mainly with my Ebony, and sometimes Mamiya 7ii and Hasselblad cameras.

However, it's been a long time since I purchased anything tripod related, and I am a bit unsure which quick release lock would be most beneficial for me, and honestly I have a very hard time figuring out what the differences and pros and cons are. Fliplock, Arca Classic or Monoballfix? I also wish to purchase an Arca camera at some point, so maybe the Arca Classic is best?

Does anyway have input or suggestions for things to consider? Any help is much appreciated.

MC

Re: Which quick release for Arca C1 Cube?

I know nothing much about the Arca Cube head, but with regard to quick releases I've found that the lever lock type seem to work best with plate from the same manufacturer. For instance, a RRS level lock quick release works best with RRS camera plates. Even though all these camera plates are described as "Arca" they can be slightly different. Therefore, I've always stuck with the screw style which can handle any "Arca" quick release camera plate.

Alan is correct, especially in regard to RRS clamps. They are notoriously fickle if you try to use a plate from another manufacturer on their "Arca clamp".
    The screw-in type clamp, made by just about everybody, has a greater variation in the width the jaws can open, so it's more universal. It should accept plates from anyone, so long as those use the Arca-type dovetail.

With a flat bed camera, your room to turn a knob is limited. The lever lock clamps are very nice. As mentioned, some clamps are sensitive to the shape and dimensions of the plate they are clamping onto. The Arca-Swiss Fliplock is adjustable (but a pain to adjust). You should be able to clamp onto almost any AS type plate. If you stick to one brand (and to a certain extent age) of adapter plate you won't need to adjust the clamp after the first time (hard to turn thumbwheel in center of clamp).

You can see the thumbwheel adjustment in https://www.adorama.com/images/XLarge/awmbz1dpf.jpg

I don't remember the AS names but they came out with a narrower clamp (Quickset?) which won't work with their older wider plates or the similar plates from RRS, Kirk, etc.

I much prefer lever locks even though when RRS first came out with their lever lock a half-dozen or so of my adapter plates (probably mostly cheap Chinese-made very loose copies) became useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    With a flat bed camera, your room to turn a knob is limited.
    FWIW, I have three LF field cameras that are flat on the bottom and I've never had a problem turning the knob on my RRS BH-55 ball head. Could be different with other AS clamps, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    FWIW, I have three LF field cameras that are flat on the bottom and I've never had a problem turning the knob on my RRS BH-55 ball head. Could be different with other AS clamps, of course.
    The locking knob on my Arca Swiss D4 has about 7/16" between the top of the knob and the bottom of my camera. My finger will fit in-between with no extra space... so I can turn the knob but there is interference with my finger.

The lever clamp can be quickly opened and closed. There is no doubt the clamp is closed tightly with a lever clamp. (I do prefer the lever release clamps made by Acratech and RRS over the Arca Swiss Fliplock ... the Fliplock has a lock on the lever which slows down its operation)