Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter repair

Question Shutter repair

1. Is there a mechanical or electronic device or setup of some sort to verify the shutter speed in a LF lens?

2. What is the preferred solvent to use on oily shutter blades, or for that matter, removing old grease from the mechanism.

Thank you for your opinions.
    _Karl

Re: Shutter repair

Karl, to your first point, there are a few DIY camera shutter-speed testers detailed on the web. I made one that seems to work quite well, using an Arduino Uno and an IR sensor/emitter pair. I made it for under $35, and no soldering required for the Arduino and breadboard version. You don't actually need an Arduino board, if you don't mind setting up a microcontroller on a breadboard. Examples are plentiful on the web, including youtube step-by-step guides. I'm happy to share my schematics (Fritzing variety) and code if you're interest goes that way.

I have heard of at least one commercial product, but don't know who makes it or if it's currently available.

Quote Originally Posted by _Karl View Post
    1. Is there a mechanical or electronic device or setup of some sort to verify the shutter speed in a LF lens?

2. What is the preferred solvent to use on oily shutter blades, or for that matter, removing old grease from the mechanism.

Thank you for your opinions.
    _Karl
    Karl, the solvent I use for removing old grease from shutter (and camera) components is simply Naphtha (lighter fluid). I've not encountered any lubricant that doesn't yield to Naphtha with a little effort. Sometimes a toothbrush is involved but typically all I use is Q-tips.

I've used the Shutter-Speed app on my iPhone to measure shutter speeds sometimes, and its reasonably effective: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/shutter-speed/id560154244

Old Compur documents mention Trichloroethylene.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

A miracle solvent which killed 2 friends in the factory we worked in

Don't

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Tin Can

CRC Electronic circuit cleaner, available at Most auto parts stores does a good job of cleaning. Spray it liberally into the mechanisms and drain it out. I replace grease with Mobil 1 synthetic grease and found a nice light oil in a needle oiler bottle at the hobby store, made for high speed model motor bearings and gear trains. Some repair men used to degrease the shutter with ether then dry lube with graphite, as for extreme cold weather operation. One guy who should know said the Compur was designed to run dry, like a watch. Some shutters have to have a bit of grease on the speed setting rim surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Do NOT use that stuff. There are far less hazardous solvents to be had.

Trichloroethylene?? That's some seriously bad stuff. I'd rather smoke a cigarette while using lighter fluid. But thanks for pointing out what the documentation had to say, Havoc.

Didn't think of electronics cleaner. Have a can of that in the basement. I will only grease where it looks like the original (not repairer) used grease. Just a little needle oil where obvious. Thanks, Neal.

Q-tips and lighter fluid. Been there done that. Don't have an iPhone but I'll check out the Android store. Thanks, Paul.

Build my own? I'd love to. Another chance to put my Ham training to use. Sending you a PM, Tom. Thanks

_Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    CRC Electronic circuit cleaner, available at Most auto parts stores does a good job of cleaning. Spray it liberally into the mechanisms and drain it out. I replace grease with Mobil 1 synthetic grease and found a nice light oil in a needle oiler bottle at the hobby store, made for high speed model motor bearings and gear trains. Some repair men used to degrease the shutter with ether then dry lube with graphite, as for extreme cold weather operation. One guy who should know said the Compur was designed to run dry, like a watch. Some shutters have to have a bit of grease on the speed setting rim surfaces.
    Electronic cleaner is mostly isopropanol based. Can contain water however. I admit that tri isn't a good idea, here it isn't available anymore. But there are substitutes that are less dangerous and do not contain water. Metryl is one and this is naphta based.

Oil is a wide field. You need to have it adapted to the load on the gears. I use watch oil and watch oilers for not adding too much. As Compur shows diagrams for each shutter where to put what type of oil, I doubt those shutters were designed to run dry. The Ilex shutters are reputed to be used dry.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Compur shutters really need to be lubricated per spec... otherwise they run terrible, if at all. Especially the smaller sizes.