Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stacking multiple Mod54 or 20th Century Camera 4x5 inserts in a single Paterson tank?

Stacking multiple Mod54 or 20th Century Camera 4x5 inserts in a single Paterson tank?

Hello all -

I generally use a single Mod54 4x5 insert in a small Paterson tank and employ gentle inversions for processing. Any thoughts on using multiple inserts (on a single spindle) within a larger tank? I recently purchased a Paterson eight roll tank for 120mm processing and hope to process more than a single insert's worth of 4x5 at a time.

Am I destined for trouble? Anyone doing this?

Thanks!

Re: Stacking multiple Mod54 or 20th Century Camera 4x5 inserts in a single Paterson t

It takes quite a long time to fill and drain the really large tanks, so that can be a problem if you're using short development times. I only use the big tank when I want throughput, and don't care too much about quality and consistency.

Re: Stacking multiple Mod54 or 20th Century Camera 4x5 inserts in a single Paterson t

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    It takes quite a long time to fill and drain the really large tanks, so that can be a problem if you're using short development times. I only use the big tank when I want throughput, and don't care too much about quality and consistency.
    That is an interesting take - I wasn't thinking about filling and drainage times.

I generally presoak and run D76 1:1 for all of my processing, so times are generally not on the short side.

I, too, would be concerned about fill/drain time and, in my experience, I've found I generally get better more even development in smaller tanks vs large.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I, too, would be concerned about fill/drain time and, in my experience, I've found I generally get better more even development in smaller tanks vs large.
    Alan -

Thanks for your take. I haven’t heard anyone saying to simply go for it. I don’t think that I will be going for it.

Makes me wonder about using the jumbo tank for anything, including a stack of 120 reels.

Tip the tank 45% and you can pour it right in about as fast as you are comfortable pouring. The air coming out doesn't interfere with the liquid going in that way. Some tanks work better than others though. Some tanks you don't tip as much. Not familiar with Patterson.

Tipping a stainless steel type tank will certainly help in the pouring, but it just takes a certain amount of time to get a large quantity of liquid into the tank. The best way I found to handle multi-reel tanks--back when I worked that way--was to fill the tank with developer, turn off the lights, drop in the stack of reels in one quick motion, put the lid on and start your development routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Tipping a stainless steel type tank will certainly help in the pouring, but it just takes a certain amount of time to get a large quantity of liquid into the tank. The best way I found to handle multi-reel tanks--back when I worked that way--was to fill the tank with developer, turn off the lights, drop in the stack of reels in one quick motion, put the lid on and start your development routine.
    I love it. This makes me wish that I wasn’t using these daylight tanks because, well, I’m processing in daylight or close to it!

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    Tip the tank 45% and you can pour it right in about as fast as you are comfortable pouring. The air coming out doesn't interfere with the liquid going in that way. Some tanks work better than others though. Some tanks you don't tip as much. Not familiar with Patterson.
    This is great - thank you. I am still working through my practice and surely exposing more sheets than I should - it’s hard to stay on top of processing while still working out the kinks. Thanks.

You could do this if you had a darkroom and two or more tanks. Just load the reels as normal into one tank and fill the other with developer. Turn off the lights and transfer the reels from the empty to the full tank - that cuts out the fill time. Fill the other tank with stop or water, then repeat the process to cut out the drain time. So in effect you have a home made dip and dunk line.