Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for tintype starter kit

Suggestion for tintype starter kit

I have wanted to delve into the wet plate process for some time. I gave dry plates a try but I am particularly interested in tintype and eventually ambrotype. Unfortunately, taking a workshop is not feasible for now, so I am contemplating just getting a kit, a book, watch some instructional videos, and jump in. I just need some recommendations on 4x5 tintype kits. I know there are several companies that offer them.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Re: Suggestion for tintype starter kit

Bostick & Sullivan makes a nice wet plate kit.

The Bostick & Sullivan kit is excellent, but I have two reservations about recommending it: 1) its far more expensive than what UV Photographics offer, and 2) you will receive VERY well aged Old Workhorse collodion with that kit and it has a fairly short shelf life by the time you get it (six months or so) and it will be slow and contrasty. Those issues aren't dealbreakers, but something you should be aware of.

UV Photographics offers an excellent starter kit for as low as $168 USD: http://uvphotographics.com/wet-plate...n-starter-kit/

the B&S kit is $329 for the 4x5 starter kit. It does include items that the UVP kit does not, but things like the Hydrometer can be acquired for $5.

Foamer

I started 2 & half years ago with the B&S kit and it worked well for me. Also bought the John Coffer Doer's Guide which is very good. I've been buying a lot of things from UVPhoto for the past year and like them too. The thing about starting with B&S is you can call them during the day for help. I had to do that a few times when I was starting and they were great. You could call me sometime if you need help as well. You helped me a few years ago when I was learning how to process B&W.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The Doer's Guide is the best working manual out there.

Suggestion for tintype starter kit

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The Bostick & Sullivan kit is excellent, but I have two reservations about recommending it: 1) its far more expensive than what UV Photographics offer, and 2) you will receive VERY well aged Old Workhorse collodion with that kit and it has a fairly short shelf life by the time you get it (six months or so) and it will be slow and contrasty. Those issues aren't dealbreakers, but something you should be aware of.

UV Photographics offers an excellent starter kit for as low as $168 USD: http://uvphotographics.com/wet-plate...n-starter-kit/

the B&S kit is $329 for the 4x5 starter kit. It does include items that the UVP kit does not, but things like the Hydrometer can be acquired for $5.
    Regarding the B&S kit, I think they give you now the collodion and the bromo iodizer separately, so the clock starts ticking when you mix it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Regarding the B&S kit, I think they give you now the collodion and the bromo iodizer separately, so the clock starts ticking when you mix it at home.
    The pages for the kits state that its pre-mixed, not 2 components.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    The pages for the kits state that its pre-mixed, not 2 components.
    Maybe the page is not up to date. I bought it a couple of months ago and received in 2 separate components. This was for the 8x10 kit.

Point is, even if mine was an exception somehow (it only 1 data point) I’m sure if you call them to order you can get it separately.

Separate in my kit as well (8x10 kit.)

Thanks all for the input - I'll get busy on this - have been wanting to try it for many years, starting when I began collecting daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, and tintypes.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg