Thread: Hi from CNY

Hi from CNY

Hi Everybody, my name is Martin and I'm a long time lurker, learned alot from the info here, and the articles on the main page were a helpful resource when I was first starting out. I've been shooting large format B&W and color since early 2017. Having been born in the late 70's, I've been shooting film of some kind or another my entire life, but I only got "serious" with it and learned how to do my own processing and printing just recently when I decided to return to school to finish my BA and was fortunate enough that the school offered darkroom courses. Since then, I've gotten an MFA in studio art and taught intro to photography to the undergraduate students. While in grad school, I was shooting 4x5 pretty often and started getting into 8x10. I'm now looking to make 8x10 my main thing, because I really like the ability to make good sized contact prints without the need for any intervening processes. I have an old Seneca Improved View 8x10 that I'm in the process of replacing the bellows on. My 4x5 is a Cambo SC.

My main focus of research has been in alternative printing techniques and I consider myself an expert in gum printing. My practice includes other processes as well, especially iron-based ones. My most recent solo show was mostly Argyrotypes with a few gum prints thrown in for good measure. See it here: https://entropyandchaos.com/?portfol...ate-activities I take a hybrid approach to my work, and finished prints may be from an original film negative, or a digital negative from a scanned film, or even from a digital photo. (actually, I think that set in the link is entirely digital photos...how embarrassing LOL) I feel that freely playing between all the different formats keeps it exciting for me, but I can certainly say that the hands-on approach of film is the most satisfying and the versatility of view cameras makes each shot an adventure!

Hopefully in the near future, when people are able to gather together again, I will start giving workshops on alt photo printing. I had planned to do this before the pandemic hit. Full-time teaching gigs are hard to come by even in good times, so this seems the best way to try and make a living from my education.
    Speaking of the pandemic and earning a living; this whole crazy situation has somehow landed me a solid day job in a medical laboratory. Never saw that coming! Fortunately, now I'll have some income to put into getting my studio off the ground.

Re: Hi from CNY

Here's a LF shot I did, and a good example of an alt print that's 100% analog film.
    This print is an 11x14 palladium print (only done a couple of those...). It was shot on 4x5 with a nice Zone VI camera I borrowed from the school (being a grad student has advantages!). This was shot on Foma 100 and developed with a Stearman Press tank. I don't remember what developer I used; it would be either the Stearman EC-76 or Kodak HC-110. It was then enlarged in the darkroom with Arista litho film and contact printed as a palladium.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groundhog_in_Repose_Pd.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	212996

Welcome to the forum, Martin!

You are going to fit right in here. There are a lot of people on the forum who do alternative process. Your input will be welcomed!

Alan

Welcome! Where in CNY are you? I grew up in Little Falls.

Hi, I'm currently living in Homer, NY, near Cortland, which is about halfway between Syracuse and Binghamton. My day job is in Ithaca.
    I grew up in the Midwest. Born in Wisconsin, spent all my school years in Indiana, then moved to Chicago for a few years then back to Indiana. Relocated to Ithaca, NY in 2014, then lived in Long Island while finishing my BA at Stony Brook, then moved to Buffalo for my Masters at UB. Now back in the Finger Lakes area where I started. Beautiful scenery here.

Welcome! I as well work with alt processes, especially carbon transfer, tri-colour gum, kallitype.

Hi, I watched your carbon transfer video. Very good! I still need to try that technique, it's on the list...