Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: B/W film & B/W chems - What's in your darkroom?

Re: B/W film & B/W chems - What's in your darkroom?

I started a year ago with FP4+ and HP5+ and ID-11 and Ilford rapidfix for film, and Ilford MGIV/dektol for paper.
    Over the year I've settled on Arista ultra 100/400 for film (35mm), and Arista 76 developer, and Kentmere paper with dektol.

Drew Wiley

TMY400 and TMX100 all formats from 35mm to 8x10. FP4 in LF sheets only. Acros in 120 only, cause that's all that's left. All PMK dev except TMX. Papers: MGWT, MGCT.

Film: TMY2, TMY, FP4+
    Developers: Pyrocat HD, PF Ansco 130, Amidol
    Stop: Acetic Acid
    Fixer: TF5 & Ilford Rapid fix & sodium thiosulfate

Film: FP4 and HP5 (others in the fridge to try: Bergger Panchro, Shanghai, and Rollei InfraRed)
    Developer: D23 (boxed in reserve: ID11 and Perceptol)
    Stop: Water
    Fixer: TF5

Old School Wayne

HP5+, FP4+, Rodinal, HC-110, Ilford Rapid Fix, a lifetime supply of hypo and a box of white powders

Film: Agfapan APX 100, Kodak Tri-X, Ilford FP4+ currently. On deck: Fomapan 100, 200. Frozen and waiting: More APX 100, FP4+, Tri-X, Plus-X, TMX, Acros, Arista,Edu 100, Efke 100. Not frozen and waiting: Ilford Ortho

Developers (in order preferred): Pyrocat-HD, PMK, HC-110, D-76, DK-50. On deck: D-23 and SLIMT processing with prior developers

I "stop" in running water bath

Fixer is currently PF TF4, but I may switch to Hypam since I don't see much advantage to the TF-4 and it is costly. I just have to make sure Hypam will work well with staining developers.

No hypo clear. Just 25min in a Gravity Works film washer.

Final rinse in PhotoFlo 200 with 30ml 91% Isolpropyl alcohol/liter of water for spot free drying.

Papers: Anything decent I can get my hands on other than MGFB Classic which I don't much like but will use if that's all that's around. This includes Ultrafine Silver Eagle FB, Arista.Edu VCFB, Fomabrom 111 Variant III VC FB

Developer: Dektol 1:2

Stop: 6oz 28% Acetic Acid/gal water

Fix: Ilford Hypam

Hypo Clearing: PermaWash 3oz/gal water

Toning: Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 1:20-1:40 depending on paper
    Silver Photographers Never Die, They're Just Getting Fixed

My Stuff: https://www.tundraware.com/Photography
    Reference Material: https://photoarchive.tundraware.com/

Currently Using:

Sheet Films: 85% FP-4, 10% TMY, 5% TMX/Delta-100 120: Currently 100% TMY No longer using 35mm (but I've held on to one Leica M-6...just in case!)
    Film Developers: Pyrocat-HD in glycol, PMK, HC-110
    Film Stop: 3 Water Baths
    Film Fix: TF-4

Papers: Ilford Classic FB Glossy, Ilford WT Glossy
    Paper Developers: Moersch Eco 4812, Moersch SE-6
    Paper Stop: Sprint Stop Bath
    Print Fix: Sprint Fixer
    Wash Aid: Heico Perma-Wash

Other Chems: Potassium Ferricyanide, Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner, Benzotriazole.

Plus a shelf full of dry chemicals from when I used to mix everything from scratch. Am sometimes tempted to take this up again, but am generally happy with what I've mentioned above - so long as its reliable!

Mostly FP4 Plus; PMK & Eco Pro; TF-4; Ansco 120 & 130AA w/ Benzotriazole; mostly Ilford FB (some Lodima); KRST.
    Jeffrey Dionesotes
    http://photodevoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    HP5, Adox CHS 100II and FP4, I was a long time Xtol user but I have switched to DDX and FX39II this year after getting two packs of bad Xtol. That cost me a lot in terms of wasted time and film so I won't be going back.
    HP5+, Delta 100 and TMAX all in 4x5, TMAX 100 and 400 in 120. Same shift with developers. From long time use of XTOL to DDX and FX-39 II and I am more than happy. Will not look back to XTOL, especially when I am still waiting the replacement bags. Actually I am very happy with FX-39 II (Delta 100). Hope I would try it earlier and not try to blame myself when result with XTOL was bad. Most likely replace TMAX films when my stock run empty.
    Stop bath from Ilford and fixer from Tetenal, but shifting towards Adox. Hypo and photoflo from Kodak but shifting here to Adox as well.

I use TMAX 400 4x5, process it in standard Sprint System chemistry. Print on Ilford Multigrade FB, also in Sprint Chemistry. The guy who started Sprint was one of my photo teachers in school, I just got into the habit of it. I looked up some work from the early 90's, and it was also on the first version of TMAX 400, so I think I've used it since it became available. For commercial work, seemed sharper and finer grained than Tri-X.

An advantage of Sprint chemicals is that they don't use Metol, so you don't develop sensitivity to that.