Thread: vintage Gundlach LF lens questions

vintage Gundlach LF lens questions

I acquired this lens on a really nice 5x7 Kodak Empire State camera last weekend.

It is a marked as an Inst. Symmetrical mounted in a Gundlach/Korona shutter, I assume it’s a Gundlach lens.

The lens is in excellent condition, no marks on the glass, very little dust in the front, it’s just a great survivor. I have some film on order and can’t wait to see how the camera/lens combination look and experiment with it. And plan to try some glass plates soon.

But – I have a couple questions for the more knowledgeable members about the lens, my LF lens experiences have been limited to a couple lenses that came with a speed graphic I bought a few years ago, and a trio of modern Rodenstocks to cover options for my Intrepid MKIV Black Edition 4x5 that I have had for about a year.

I looked at the old Gundlach catalogs online, and haven’t found an exact match – I’ve posted some photos below-

The brass front of the lens says 6 ½ by 8 ½ and 23 inches. The back element is marked as 17 inches, and is easily removed.

Is this a convertible lens? Is it a 23 with the rear element off and 17 with it on? It seems to have plenty of coverage for the 5x7 as found (I’ll know better when I shoot it). Is the rear element on there to match to the 5x7 format?

But I wonder what the different combinations of front and rear will cover. Does anyone have any specs for this lens?

Thanks for any education you can give me on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSL_8458.jpg   RSL_8451.jpg   RSL_8455.jpg   RSL_8456.jpg  

Re: vintage Gundlach LF lens questions

more front and the rear element
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSL_8454.jpg   RSL_8452.jpg   RSL_8459.jpg   RSL_8453.jpg  

You are correct in your assumptions. Sorry, but I don't remember the FL of the combination. I believe it is in the neighborhood of 7-7.5"

Have fun with this. By the way, I have the same shutter on a 5x7 Seroco and realy like it.

Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

thanks I did see that - but its the Rapid Rectigraphic lens - not the symmetrical

but I would guess the concept is the same

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    You are correct in your assumptions. Sorry, but I don't remember the FL of the combination. I believe it is in the neighborhood of 7-7.5"

Have fun with this. By the way, I have the same shutter on a 5x7 Seroco and realy like it.

Thanks Jim - so- it can be used with or without the rear element to change focal length? what about image circle as a 23"