Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: D 23 Users

Re: D 23 Users

Tend to agree with Joe O'Hara that the differences between negatives - no matter what they're developed in - tend to be quite small. Maybe not indistinguishable, but small enough that focusing on one film, one developer, etc. and getting to know these seems a better course than getting lost in the weeds. And if that fits, then D23's simplicity is good enough for primary use and not bother with the rest.

My thanks to Tin Can for this thread, for bringing out all the other users and how they use this simple stuff.

The formula in the paper is correct. 1.5g/l phenidone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Good to know, thank you!

I worry about intensional misdirection

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    a question

does D 23 need N2 in gas bubble system to maintain chemistry

If it does, how does it handle rebottling, storage, transfer pump back and forth from 1 gallon tanks to 3 gallon tanks with a floating cover, which will add room air with every transfer

as some here know I use a gas burst system with air compressor

I can change to N2 and have worked with huge amounts of N2 as liquid and 5K bottles for decades, not film processing

but we always run out of N2
    I have only used D-23 with N2.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    But be aware that this will eventually turn D23 into D25, which causes a cut to speed of film... I remember my film + D25 caused about a 1/2 to 2/3 stop speed loss...

If you shoot for it, you will be fine...

Steve K
    This is a good point, thanks Steve. The Kodak replenishment directions include both the amount of replenisher to be added after each square foot (or roll) of film processed and the maximum proportion of replenisher that can be added to the original developer. I posted the directions above.

As an aside, I have been using replenished D19 in a (cine) reversal process, and notice that once I go past the total recommended proportion of replenisher (1:1 D19R to the original volume of D19) I need to change the processing times.
    Last edited by Jason Greenberg Motamedi; 20-Feb-2021 at 13:12.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Thank you for that information, Jim. I don't doubt your results at all. Do you suppose an accumulation of bromide also contributed to the properties of this well-seasoned developer? Also, do you think there is a way to add bromide to a developer like D-23 to season it?
    I have always believed that the accumulated silver is responsible. This shows up when the negative is viewed by reflected light. I have never considered bromide as a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    This is a good point, thanks Steve. The Kodak replenishment directions include both the amount of replenisher to be added after each square foot (or roll) of film processed and the maximum proportion of replenisher that can be added to the original developer. This, I assume, is less than what it takes to turn it into D25. I will look up and post the directions later.
    Using DK-25R to replenish D-23 won’t turn it into D-25. The pH will be higher than that of D-25, and the pH is what differentiates D-25 from D-23.

I've been developing xray film in D-23 at 1+3. Very pleased with the results. Not large format, but I love Ilford Pan F in D-23 1+3.

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I've been developing xray film in D-23 at 1+3. Very pleased with the results. Not large format, but I love Ilford Pan F in D-23 1+3.
    At what speed do you rate Pan F in D-23 1:3? Thanks.

Seems I just bought me a dip and dunk developer apparatus for X-ray films that is in fact 3 big sinks. I intend to use D-23 1+3 but it needs huge volume. So my question is: Can be D23 frozen? I dont see why but better ask, maybe some of you did it already.

Update

While I have plentiful D23 chem.

It is only my backup

as I prefer Rodinol for extreme safety and simplicity

No dust

I worked in Chem lab 53 years ago

Way too dangerous

I QUIT

I am very lucky
    Tin Can