Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix accessories

Chamonix accessories

Has anyone used the 4x5 folding viewers for the Chamonix cameras? I was wondering how clear the image appears without using a dark cloth.

Thanks for any thoughts

Re: Chamonix accessories

In bright sunlight (in southeast Australia), not very good, even with the sun behind you; a dark cloth is necessary. In dull light better, but the dark cloth still helps. I have to admit I gave up on it, and bought their reflex viewer, which works very well - and can be recommended.

Chamonix accessories

What’s wrong using a dark cloth? Even a jacket or tshirt?

To me ultimately it comes down to risk. When I care about critical focusing, I will use one and a loupe. Even if there’s enough contrast without one, the extra darkness with the dark cloth lets me close the aperture a bit to confirm that things will be in focus. Yes I can trust that my chosen aperture will do the job but it sure is nice to verify it particularly with movements involved.

If I don’t care so much I may do it without one. But that’s not very often.

Why consider an option that’s adds weight and requires more room and is not really inexpensive, while having some residual risk?

That’s just how I see it. YMMV.
    Last edited by Kiwi7475; 18-Feb-2021 at 23:42.

I have it, but it has not much function anymore. For me it’s either the reflex finder, which I use with pleasure, or the dark cloth. You have to be precise anyway and the folding viewer is only fit for a quick and dirty check. You will need the Chamonix loupe with it I think. My loupe is shorter so I can’t come close enough with the folding viewer

Quote Originally Posted by pmviewcam View Post
    In bright sunlight (in southeast Australia), not very good, even with the sun behind you; a dark cloth is necessary. In dull light better, but the dark cloth still helps. I have to admit I gave up on it, and bought their reflex viewer, which works very well - and can be recommended.
    I've done the same but even with the reflex viewer, it's hard to see the sides the wider the lens. The reflex viewer works much better with a 300mm though. The other problem is with both, you can't use a loupe.

I'll often use the reflex viewer to set up the shot. I like seeing things right-side up. Then I switch to a dark cloth for critical focusing. The folding viewer acts as a protective shield for the ground glass without taking up any more room than the regular protector. So it could be used for a quick view too before removing it and using a cloth and loupe.

Let me just say that I'm pretty new to 4x5 shooting. So I'm learning my way and trying different methods to see what works best for me. So what I say today may be different tomorrow as I learn and experiment more.

Sometime after using a view camera for awhile, the image that is up side down stops being a nuisance and becomes second nature. You might even find that it can help with composition to have the image flipped and the scene in front of you. A dark cloth can also wrap your camera in a backpack. There is enough to carry around without unnecessary accessories when using a view camera. The less you have to do when setting up the shot, the more likely that it will still be there when you grab your film holder.

freyben, My last Chamonix came with a folding viewfinder. It can be convenient at times, but I prefer to use a dark cloth. It allows my eyes to adjust better to see fine detail on the screen & i use it to cover the bellows & the edge of the film holder in bright sunlight. I don't use a reflex viewer.

For me if the lens is shorter than 120-150mm, I use the reflex finder to quickly set up the shot but then switch to a dark cloth to view the corners and fine focus. For lenses 180mm or longer I use the reflex finder exclusively. The folding viewfinder never was to my liking and that's a totally subjective opinion. I have friends who use the folding viewfinder exclusively. I still am working on how to adapt a Sinar binocular reflex finder to the Chamonix, when its bulk is not a problem. Fortunately its weight is not a factor for it is very light in weight.

Opposing view: I typically approximate focus by focusing until the sharpness starts decreasing, and then back off a bit. I can do that, while using the "folding viewer with carbon fiber cover" and no loupe most of the time.

As they point out, it works well with a loupe at least 4 inches long-- Mine is 3. Still, I can pop the loupe into the opening, and hold it in place with fingertips against the glass to check critical focus.

Said loupe also has a square base, making it easy to see the corners.