Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What image browsing program do you use?

Re: What image browsing program do you use?

Oh hey, I just gave FastStone a try and it's pretty good. Alot more enjoyable than Bridge. Only criticism I have so far is that it doesn't show Affinity files.

I tried PM years back and though it was "nice", I stuck with Capture One. That was back in my digital-only days. Today, I'm reconfiguring. Kind of a mind to simply use a directory tree of folders and file photos that way. Been thinking about trying PM again, too. With the goal of moving more toward Photoshop for plug-in reasons - and the general assumption I'm never going to have a PhaseOne 100MB camera, seems like getting into the mainstream isn't a bad idea.

Bigger question in my view as a film shooter primarily might well begin a step earlier with HOW to organize rather than with WHAT to BROWSE with. I'm thinking to put all my DSLR scans in place by format and then location, date, etc. but that's when you come back to the PM type of multi-threaded labels as a good idea. Good... but not convenient is my problem. When I used it years back, it seemed too detailed. I'm not sure there's a users group (probably is) that can help with setting up in an easy-to-maintain way. Ultimately, I wish I'd done a better job of separating from my shots - the actual images selected, edited and printed in one easy, handy place. THEN I wouldn't be inclined to have to browse through tons to find them!!!! and then puzzle over "was that this one here, or that one? hmmmm... better get some coffee? Nah... I'll just start again with a third one. Yeah."

One thing worth asking is whether these puzzles are similar to yours or not? I've done a little (very little) piezography and print files have to be saved by size. CaptureOne didn't need this, but QuadtoneRIP does. And so your needs expand, right? Should I have done this with my color images? Again, CaptureOne didn't need it, nor Imageprint (RIP), but that doesn't necessarily make it a good practice. Will Photoshop? (Too early for me to know yet). Seems the more I ponder the OP's question, the more I'm headed down the rabithole of objectives, needs, and trying to fit that into some useful software.

So the options? FastStone, PM, (Adobe) Bridge? Any others for a Windows machine?

Back when I shot a lot of 35mm film, a serial number was assigned to each roll. A skimpy catalog was written with the subjects on each roll and the date. A computer word search pointed to each roll that held that subject.

Right now all of my scans are organized by Chemistry (BW/C41/E6) > Shooting Foramt > Camera Roll... Each "Camera Roll" is labeled as Camera_Emulsion_Roll#... I do all that before jumping into anything. I also have an AirTable DB for all of my film/Cameras, so I can keep track of what's used with more detail.

I also use Capture One, which is phenomenal, for everything but my 617 scans... which are beyond the scope of what the software will handle. Most editing is done in Affinity Photo, though I am continually impressed by what I can accomplish in Capture One.

RE: Photo Mechanic, I was really impressed by well it handled the big TIF files I have for the 617 images. Still trying to get a better understanding of how it works, but it seems like a really interesting option if I can figure it out, it seems like all of the other options mentioned are Windows only... and Light Room/Adobe is no good for me...

I don't sort or catalogue RAW photos (including film scans) in any way, but the keepers get sucked into my DIY image management program and assigned a consecutive number with all original information stored in the database as well so it's easy to find the photo's RAW file and by extension all those taken at the same time.

Once a photo is ingested keywords, groups, locations etc are assigned.

Here's a screen shot of the main screen.

More info here, not that it's for sale or anything, but might be interesting to some.

http://robgray.com/electronics/siiman

Note that it's purely for cataloging, doesn't do editing at all but will shell out to an external editing program (I use Affinity for most things).

To be honest if I could import all the captioning and other data into a commercial product I would as my program is quite long in the tooth and getting harder to maintain, but I have never found a DAM program that would do that and with about 20,000 catalogued images I'm not about to retype it all

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYnomad View Post
    I don't sort or catalogue RAW photos (including film scans) in any way, but the keepers get sucked into my DIY image management program and assigned a consecutive number with all original information stored in the database as well so it's easy to find the photo's RAW file and by extension all those taken at the same time.

More info here, not that it's for sale or anything, but might be interesting to some.

Note that it's purely for cataloging, doesn't do editing at all but will shell out to an external editing program (I use Affinity for most things).

To be honest if I could import all the captioning and other data into a commercial product I would as my program is quite long in the tooth and getting harder to maintain, but I have never found a DAM program that would do that and with about 20,000 catalogued images I'm not about to retype it all
    Have you looked at imatch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking into it now.

Essentially what I would need to do is say import 20,000 photos, just jpegs not raw as there would be too many of them.

Then import meta data and keywords etc and assign this data to each image.

I can export the data in any text format I like from my current program, I'll just write some code to massage it into CSV, XML or whatever is appropriate.

Then I would need iMatch to, for example, look at each record, get the photo name from a field, then use that name as an index to find that photo's iMatch database record and then assign the other fields in the input in the rest of that iMatch record.

I don't know if you're a hard-core programmer or just a user of iMatch, so if you don't know this stuff I'll sign up on their forum and ask there.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by EBJohnson View Post
    I also use Capture One, which is phenomenal, for everything but my 617 scans... which are beyond the scope of what the software will handle. Most editing is done in Affinity Photo, though I am continually impressed by what I can accomplish in Capture One.

RE: Photo Mechanic, I was really impressed by well it handled the big TIF files I have for the 617 images. Still trying to get a better understanding of how it works, but it seems like a really interesting option if I can figure it out, it seems like all of the other options mentioned are Windows only... and Light Room/Adobe is no good for me...
    So I wanted to correct myself... apparently at some point since version... 11 or 12 of Capture One, when I last tried to import my 617 scans, the max file size has been increased... dramatically. Photo Mechanic seemed like a good alternative if this had not been the case, but now that these big files will work, it stands to reason that any 4x5 scans in the near future will work as well. So... +1 for Capture One.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYnomad View Post

Also It can import FilmShots Jason files

Well it seems that I’m not alone.
    Also build my own system in php :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48395ABC-C1DC-4982-804C-EBC11802BEFB.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	213870
    It works and I can edit files from there, a lot of crontab scripts.

So I'm not the only crazy one then

Actually I love PHP and I'm tempted to write something that runs on my web site. I just need the DAM facilities really and already have quite a large data base there.

From the looks of it though your PHP skills are well above mine and I can't get WAMP to run on my computer so everything has to be web based which is a pain.
    Rob Gray — Nature Photographer Extraordinaire
    www.robgray.com