Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone made a large split back contact frame?

Has anyone made a large split back contact frame?

Hi All,

I want to do some Van Dyke printing on large scale prints (roughly 16” x 20”).

I wondered if anyone had any experience of making these, is it possible to make one from an old large picture frame?

I guess the critical part is getting an even pressure across the whole area to maximise focus, if anyone has experience of the materials required for this that would be great.

Thanks.

Re: Has anyone made a large split back contact frame?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Hi All,

I want to do some Van Dyke printing on large scale prints (roughly 16” x 20”).

I wondered if anyone had any experience of making these, is it possible to make one from an old large picture frame?

I guess the critical part is getting an even pressure across the whole area to maximise focus, if anyone has experience of the materials required for this that would be great.

Thanks.
    At that size you may want to consider a vacuum frame. From my experience it starts getting tricky to do a simple glass-pressing frame above 11x14 maintaining sharpness. I haven’t tried some of the upper end ones though (like B&S, maybe there’s others). You can find vacuum frames on eBay that also integrate the UV lights (even LED now).

NO it can't be made from a picture frame as it would not be substantial enough to maintain good even pressure.
    The frame needs to be made from at least 1x1.5 well cured hardwood.
    The hinged back needs to be three sections, not two.

It might be worth researching the vacuum frames for that size. I have two old NuArc UV printers with built-in vacuum frames. I am considering removing the vacuum easel from the smaller unit (it is already on a sliding drawer) for use under my usual lamps (750W merc vapor).

Actually -- I'll have another printing session soon (platinum/palladium) and might just rig my Merc vapor light over the front of the NuArc and just use it with the drawer pulled out.

Generally both these units build up too much heat during my long exposures to use them continously, and the exposure times are longer than my 750 W lamp.

Presently I am using two contact printing frames from B&S for up to 11x14 (12x15 max size).

This member makes both kinds:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...printing+frame
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...63#post1547563
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NuArcDone.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks for the replies, I looked at vacuum frames and they do seem like the way forward for my purposes, just need to find one now. I’m based in the Uk, are the Nuarc ones harder to find here? I had a look on eBay but nothing came up.

Thanks again.

They were are now-out-of-date in the printing world -- you might find a similar beast made in England. There are a couple threads on DIY vacuum frames (20/4/2020 and 22/11/2019) that I saw on a search here, but did not read.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    They were are now-out-of-date in the printing world -- you might find a similar beast made in England. There are a couple threads on DIY vacuum frames (20/4/2020 and 22/11/2019) that I saw on a search here, but did not read.
    Thanks for the info, do you know what these things are called? It should help with the search. I looked for vacuum frames with no results. I also looked for ‘uv exposure unit’ but these don’t seem to have vacuums built into them.

Thanks

A general search for "graphic arts equipment" might be a start. Photographer's Formulary in the USA has large spring-back contact frames for sale, as well. But I've never used one larger than 11x14" so can't comment about how well such a large frame would work.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Thanks for the info, do you know what these things are called? It should help with the search. I looked for vacuum frames with no results. I also looked for ‘uv exposure unit’ but these don’t seem to have vacuums built into them.

Thanks
    Most of these units are referred to plate burning frames. The were used to expose printing plates and also proofing materials, all for the commercial printing industry. NuArc is a US company. In the EU look for Agfa, Heidelberg, maybe Fuji and Screen. Hope this helps.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Some years ago, Stephen Livick wrote a book about gum printing that includes a description of a DIY vaccum easel. There are PDFs of it floating around the net. Personally, I think what described is more complicated than it needs to be, but it might be a good starting point for you.