Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contact Prints Without Enlarger?

Contact Prints Without Enlarger?

Quote Originally Posted by tomwilliams View Post
    I will be interested in your results. I make contact prints from 4x5 negatives on Ilford MGRC Multigrade RC Deluxe paper with an ordinary halogen four watt bulb 46" above the print frame, printing time 14 seconds. I haven't worried about the spectral output of the bulb, though as you mention jamgolf, it would seem to be a relevant issue. So far I haven't used a filter, but now have a set of Ilford Multigrade 6"x6" filters that I plan to simply lay on top of the contact frame glass during exposure. Is that a reasonable approach, anyone?
    I would not put the filter on top of the contact frame, it’s one more surface that needs to be really clean, one dust spec and you’ll see it on the print. But placed above, underneath the light it would be diffused and not show up.
    At some point in time, long ago, I had something like the post #10 above, with foam core boards and a simple 3w led light at about 4 ft away. Worked perfectly even for 8x10. Of course, a real enlarger is a much nicer tool but you can cobble something really simple together and start practicing your printing and dodge/burning skills!

Re: Contact Prints Without Enlarger?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I would not put the filter on top of the contact frame, it’s one more surface that needs to be really clean, one dust spec and you’ll see it on the print. But placed above, underneath the light it would be diffused and not show up.
    Agree. Also, it would make dodging and burning difficult, unless you are making only straight prints. Small contact prints can be real gems!

Some really nice ideas and suggestions. Thanks so much everyone for your help.

I remember when I hosted the APUG conference in 2006, Michael A Smith was one of our workshop people, I was amazed at how easy it was to set up a single hanging bulb for him in a room with a sink and he was happy with the setup, worked pretty well for him and he knew how to print.

Daniel's idea looks pretty workable to me. Thanks Kiwi7475 and Merg Ross for the reason not to lay the filter on the contact frame.

A question...could one get blue and green led bulbs and do split grade printing?

Ed Weston used a barebulb suspended over the contact fram, Bout 4 feet above. I saw this in pictures from his darkroom at Wildcat Hill.