Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 103

Thread: Still Life, 2021

  1. #71

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    832

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Paul, this series of your still lifes on the windowsill is very beautiful - I keep returning to those (and wishing I had a similar window to play around...) Also, it reminds me of another expert on windows, a co-patriot of mine, Josef Sudek and his series "The Window of my Studio",
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

  2. #72

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Paul, this series of your still lifes on the windowsill is very beautiful - I keep returning to those (and wishing I had a similar window to play around...) Also, it reminds me of another expert on windows, a co-patriot of mine, Josef Sudek and his series "The Window of my Studio",
    Thank you Andrej! Comparing my work to master Sudek is very flattering indeed.
    I am familiar with Sudek's series (and most of his other work), and I have to say that I don't intend to emulate his work - its more that I feel a kinship with his work and I think we want the same things from a photograph. The fact that I have worked for years in isolation, and strive to find the subtle differences in the light and mood of this one window, creates a link to Sudek. The pandemic has forced me to stay at home more than ever, and so I return again and again to my muse, the west window. Is the work repetitive? Sometimes I fear it is. And yet if I can discover something in each new photograph that excites me, I must be on the right path, yes?

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    25

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	220348

    for more, check

    https://www.instagram.com/natura.aeterna/

    Indoors experiments with light, sharpness, and flowers.
    I got this tiny beast from a fellow photographer, very cheap.
    The full lens is a very, very sharp and well build 160mm 6.3, which covers 5x7.
    The elements alone can easily unscrew, and they turn into a 240mm or around there.


    -Camera: Stenopeika 5x7
    -Film: unbranded x-ray film “ full blue” -expired-used as iso 50
    -LENS: H. Meyer 16cm 6.3
    FRONT ELEMENT ONLY-
    - 1/2 second exposure-
    Developed in hangers under red safe light-
    Rodinal 1+100 for around 2-3 minutes.

  4. #74

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    832

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Thank you Andrej! Comparing my work to master Sudek is very flattering indeed.
    I am familiar with Sudek's series (and most of his other work), and I have to say that I don't intend to emulate his work - its more that I feel a kinship with his work and I think we want the same things from a photograph. The fact that I have worked for years in isolation, and strive to find the subtle differences in the light and mood of this one window, creates a link to Sudek. The pandemic has forced me to stay at home more than ever, and so I return again and again to my muse, the west window. Is the work repetitive? Sometimes I fear it is. And yet if I can discover something in each new photograph that excites me, I must be on the right path, yes?
    Paul, I did not mean that you are emulating, far from that. We are all trying to hone our vision, our craft, probably each of us has his "obsession" that fills his mind and eye for longer or shorter periods - be it windows, trees, locomotives, old buildings or little creeks... The important thing is precisely this discovery... Indeed, having just taken in hands a book of interviews with master Sudek and the first thing that caught my eye was this quote: "Photography should make the eye, senses and mind aware, that even the smallest things have their value and beauty, that maybe we could call a poetry." (From an interview with Josef Sudek in 1957)
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

  5. #75

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wassenaar, NL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    @ Paul, #70: Very nice, did you lighten up the flower from the left, or is this all pure available light?

  6. #76

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Paul, I did not mean that you are emulating, far from that. We are all trying to hone our vision, our craft, probably each of us has his "obsession" that fills his mind and eye for longer or shorter periods - be it windows, trees, locomotives, old buildings or little creeks... The important thing is precisely this discovery... Indeed, having just taken in hands a book of interviews with master Sudek and the first thing that caught my eye was this quote: "Photography should make the eye, senses and mind aware, that even the smallest things have their value and beauty, that maybe we could call a poetry." (From an interview with Josef Sudek in 1957)
    Hi Andrej. No, I didn't think you were implying I was emulating Sudek! I just said that because I was thinking out loud - contemplating my relationship to Sudek and other photographers whose work I admire.

    I especially like the part of that quote that says "even the smallest things have their value and beauty, that maybe we could call a poetry." That's exactly how I think of my work. Thank you!

  7. #77

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    @ Paul, #70: Very nice, did you lighten up the flower from the left, or is this all pure available light?
    Thank you, Otto.
    No, its not entirely available light: Collodion is not at all sensitive to light reflected into shadow areas, so to avoid blank, black shadows in this instance I used a softbox (compact fluorescent) above/left to fill the shaded side and illuminate the Zinnia faces a bit. Its a careful balancing act, and the results are not entirely "natural", but I like how it looks in the end.

  8. #78

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wassenaar, NL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Thank you, Otto.
    No, its not entirely available light: Collodion is not at all sensitive to light reflected into shadow areas, so to avoid blank, black shadows in this instance I used a softbox (compact fluorescent) above/left to fill the shaded side and illuminate the Zinnia faces a bit. Its a careful balancing act, and the results are not entirely "natural", but I like how it looks in the end.
    Thnx, I like that effect too, although a bit anachronistic

  9. #79

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    Thnx, I like that effect too, although a bit anachronistic
    Film photography is "a bit anachronistic"!

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wassenaar, NL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Still Life, 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Film photography is "a bit anachronistic"!
    We’ll see about that

Similar Threads

  1. Portraits from 2021
    By Clickma in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 343
    Last Post: Today, 20:11
  2. 2021 Self Portraits
    By Tin Can in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2021, 12:55
  3. Camper Van Suggestions in 2021
    By diversey in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 3-Sep-2021, 18:55
  4. 2021 Monitor Suggestions
    By Tin Can in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2021, 11:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •