Thread: Query regarding Puck's "wither wanderest thou (LF) spirit?"

Query regarding Puck's "wither wanderest thou (LF) spirit?"

Not sure where to post this as "The Lounge" is a closed group and therefore restricted from wider access (at least for a day or two). As a relative young-un in terms of experience shooting LF, I'm curious about the nature of LF photographers as a group and where LF and View Camera shooting is headed. I'm not a prospective LF business dude so that's not my agenda; mostly my intent is simple curiosity on how things are developing and where LF is now and where it's headed.

Has anyone gathered data since the "death of film" or the beginning of the "film renaissance" on the folks now engaged in this form of photography? Age, experience, purpose in making images (professional, amateur, artist), subject matter (portraits, still life, landscape, architecture), film and/or digital backs, darkroom or digital printing, hybrid, alternative processes, etc.? I've seen that some folks follow LF here exclusively while some of us also post on Photrio (ex-APUG), so there is a degree of isolation - and admittedly I see dpreview posts only through Google searches. But most forum polls don't provide more than one question at a time rather than a series of compound questions that could be related and perhaps more useful. LF can be seen as a small group these days if strictly referring to film, but maybe less so if considered more broadly in the use of view cameras like Cambo Actus, Arca's Universalis or M, etc. and even simple tilt/shift lenses (I'm just thinking here - not arguing a point)... and I'm not financially playing in the contemporary PhaseOne range of things, but it sure seems to me that a 100 and rising MP camera fits a LF-type of mindset and equipment (studio) setup and approach to problem solving.

And much as I might love to post a poll here, I'd prefer to look at something done more widely - if you're seeing that sort of thing and its public. Mostly we see speculation both bleak and aspirational, but little real hard data. Yes, sample size here might be misleading. Duh. But what else is there? And does anyone else care? I'm not terribly bothered given I can throw a digital back behind something or a dry/wet plate if it comes to that... but we're still "not in Kansas anymore."

Re: Query regarding Puck's "wither wanderest thou (LF) spirit?"

what was the ?
    Tin Can

Really? Okay in very few words: Where do we find stats on the relative health (or lack thereof) of LF shooting - film/ digital and/or hybrid, who's doing it and what they're doing with it, and the like. Anybody have a reasonable indication of how it's going? Any surveys, sales stats, etc? or is there no regard for this at all?

I care not a whit

My legacy will
    Tin Can

You have defined your quest

Do the work of discovery

I don't do 'make work'
    Tin Can

Got it. Not surprised.