Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Hello from a LF hopeful

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cranleigh, Surrey, England
    Posts
    8

    Hello from a LF hopeful

    Hi and thankyou for letting me join the forum. I don't own a LF camera yet however, I love watching the process and for me it feels real! I do use digital, however, I don't get that same feeling... so i am looking forward to purchasing a LF camera in the near future.... Or can I hire one to see which type suits me best? Is there a section on the forum you can signpost me too for some further info and inspiration.

    Thanks again for accepting me here.

    Chris

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Forest Grove, Ore.
    Posts
    3,913

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Welcome to the forum, Chris. You will enjoy it here.

    I learned volumes, when I first stumbled onto the Forum Home Page. That's a good place to begin. (See top.)

    Have you thought about what kind of a camera you want? View cameras tend to come in two varieties: metal rail cameras, and wood flatbeds.

    What format and film appeals to you? Sheet film or roll film; color or black and white? This forum is almost all about sheet film; but, it's possible to do view camera photography with medium format film.

    The two most popular sheet film formats are 4x5 and 8x10, though many members engage in Ultra Large Format photography. ULF: these are sheet films that are larger than 8x10.

    As an LF Hopeful, there can be quite a lot to ponder.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    875

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Welcome. Neil's advice is on the mark. Feel free to ask more questions as you clarify your thoughts.
    Philip Ulanowsky

    Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,810

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Put your location in your profile and you might pick up some local LF friends.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

  5. #5
    jp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    5,435

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Welcome. After a month you get access to the classified which are informative even to those not shopping.

    Figure out the intended use you are pursuing or LF photographers you are inspired by. Portraiture? Grand landscapes? architecture scenes? environmental / press style?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cranleigh, Surrey, England
    Posts
    8

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Chris. You will enjoy it here.

    I learned volumes, when I first stumbled onto the Forum Home Page. That's a good place to begin. (See top.)

    Have you thought about what kind of a camera you want? View cameras tend to come in two varieties: metal rail cameras, and wood flatbeds.

    What format and film appeals to you? Sheet film or roll film; color or black and white? This forum is almost all about sheet film; but, it's possible to do view camera photography with medium format film.

    The two most popular sheet film formats are 4x5 and 8x10, though many members engage in Ultra Large Format photography. ULF: these are sheet films that are larger than 8x10.

    As an LF Hopeful, there can be quite a lot to ponder.
    Definitely a lot to ponder upon. I think it may be a case of starting slowly and with something relatively inexpensive. I am not sure about folding cameras, I know there is a good entry level model called a Chroma Carbon, which has quite a few movements and could be a good entry level investment and also a handy second camera should I venture down the road of something more established. I do like the look of Shen Hao, however I am here to learn and discover

  7. #7
    Land-Scapegrace Heroique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Wash.
    Posts
    2,760

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyguy365 View Post
    It feels real!
    Quote of the week.

    Welcome to the forum and we're eager to hear about your equipment and see your first images.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cranleigh, Surrey, England
    Posts
    8

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Put your location in your profile and you might pick up some local LF friends.
    I will indeed..... Thanks for the kindly reminder!!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cranleigh, Surrey, England
    Posts
    8

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Quote of the week.

    Welcome to the forum and we're eager to hear about your equipment and see your first images.
    Quote of the week... Happy with that!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cranleigh, Surrey, England
    Posts
    8

    Re: Hello from a LF hopeful

    Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Welcome. After a month you get access to the classified which are informative even to those not shopping.

    Figure out the intended use you are pursuing or LF photographers you are inspired by. Portraiture? Grand landscapes? architecture scenes? environmental / press style?
    Thanks JP, a good point! I have a friend who is a model so some portraiture would be great and also perhaps a try at landscape... Off to the Isle of Skye Later this year in the autumn (Fall)

Similar Threads

  1. A large format hopeful!
    By ChrisBCS in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2014, 11:35
  2. The hopeful future of film photography
    By Ed Eubanks in forum On Photography
    Replies: 414
    Last Post: 20-Feb-2011, 07:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •