Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burke & James 5x7

Burke & James 5x7

I picked up a B&J 5x7 and I'll admit I have no knowledge of this camera. From what I can tell, it is likely a <edited> Commercial View <end edit>. It is a model with a tailboard. That said I could be totally wrong on that. Battleship gray with red bellows.

It came with an old lens and shutter that gives no clue of the focal length. Rough measurement would suggest about a 200mm lens.

Now my question is this: what is the shortest and the longest lens that I can mount on it without the extension bellows and tail?

This is my first jump into 5x7. I realize that the B&J is not well liked by many, but it's what I could find and as a bundle wasn't a horrible deal. Lol

Thanks.
    Robert
    Last edited by NebrGuy; 15-Feb-2021 at 16:16.

Re: Burke & James 5x7

I like them

A picture would help

I have a Model One Rembrandt 5X7 which is non folding

I mostly use a Xenar 240mm f4.5

It has a factory Packard shutter with sync

Here is one, not mine https://www.largeformatphotography.i...p-Gear-125-S-H
    Tin Can

I had a B&J 5x7 back in the 1990s. It was a good camera and I wish I still had it. They are a bit clunky and painted grey. But they are ruggedly built. I stripped and refinished mine. It looked nice.

They have all the movements, but some are a bit fiddly to do.

Wish I still had one.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Sorry about that. I was on my phone when I made the original post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210215_155950091~2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	212747
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067-Edit~2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	212746

It didn't come with the lens board, so I had one cut. It did come with the lens and the only markings I can find on it are "5x7 rapid convertible" written on the outside of the lens barrel.

Hi,
    That's not a Rembrandt, they have no front movements..
    That's a Commercial View.
    I have two of them, they're solidly built, but a bit unwieldy compared to the newer high-dollar whiz-bang gear.
    Best to test the bellows for light-tightness by extending the bellows all the way, and shining a lightbulb from inside the bellows in a darkened room. Pinholes should be obvious..I recommend doing it from front, with the lensboard removed, and from the back with film back removed to check mating surfaces.
    Extension backs are available, some have one screw, others have two.
    They show up here, as well as Ebay, or you can post a WTB ad here.
    Have fun with it!

The longest lens I have used on mine is 14", but at closer than infinity..
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Hi,
    That's not a Rembrandt, they have no front movements..
    That's a Commercial View.
    I have two of them, they're solidly built, but a bit unwieldy compared to the newer high-dollar whiz-bang gear.
    Best to test the bellows for light-tightness by extending the bellows all the way, and shining a lightbulb from inside the bellows in a darkened room. Pinholes should be obvious..I recommend doing it from front, with the lensboard removed, and from the back with film back removed to check mating surfaces.
    Extension backs are available, some have one screw, others have two.
    They show up here, as well as Ebay, or you can post a WTB ad here.
    Have fun with it!
    Like I said, I don't know anything about it. lol. My LF experience up until now is with a SpeedGraphic 4x5. I edited the original post to say the Commercial View. Thanks for clarifying the model. I'm still seeing very little information when I google it. Camera-Wiki doesn't even list the Commercial View in a 5x7.

I've already looked at the bellows and they are in really good shape, no pinholes whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    The longest lens I have used on mine is 14", but at closer than infinity..
    Hope that helps.
    Thank you.

The camera is very easy to frefinish. Make sure that you use the correct sized screwdriver(s) to take it apart. I actually labeled each screw and the corresponding place/hole where it came out of. Old "trick" a very talented camera restorer told me back then. Also told me to reuse the original screws in that replacing them with newer screws might weaken the integrity of the camera. Lastly he told me to put the slightest drop of something in the hole before re-inserting the screw, unfortunately that was 50+ years ago and I don't remember what the liquid? was. Once apart it is very easy to strip the wood, and you will undoubtedly find furniture grade quality wood under that gray paint. The ones that I refinished preferred stain to paint. As a favor a friend refurbished the metal parts for me. Maybe another forum member could post info on this. When putting everything back together just take your time and not force anything. In the 1970s hiked many a gorge south of Rochester, New York with an 8x10 B&J Commercial View, holders, and more in a surplus backpack. The camera never failed me, and that's after taking a fair amount of falls on iced over streams. Lately I have been toying with the idea of acquiring a B&J Commercial View, restoring it, and then displaying it in our living room. Yes I would also take it outside and use it....