Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you standardize your screw-on filters by thread size?

Re: Do you standardize your screw-on filters by thread size?

When I researched the world of LF, it was suggested by this bunch of folks on this forum to think through the different types of lenses I was going to want and then figure out what the largest filter size was going to be. Then get all the filters in that size as they become available.

In my case I found that 67mm filters were the magic number. Then, a few days later a fellow forum member was selling a set of 67mm filters including a red, yellow, orange, polarizer and a 2-stop ND. Pretty good. I use them a to this day. I’ve also added a Formatt Hitech filter system.

My first lens was a Fuji 150mm with 55mm threads. Added the step up ring to 67.
    My second lens was the Rodenstock 90mm with 67mm thread. This lens was the one that determined the grand design.
    I’ve since replaced the Fuji 150 with a Rodenstock 150. The threads are different and I just needed a different step up ring.
    My next lens will probably be a 240mm Ronar with 49mm threads, still good.....

So, planning ahead is great advice. I took it to heart. But if you don’t want to plan ahead, and just get what you want when you want but NOT have to get a lot of different filters...easy...just get a full set of 82mm filters and get step down rings.

Good luck!!!
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

Re: Do you standardize your screw-on filters by thread size?

I standardized on 67mm with step up rings for most of my newer lenses. I did buy a series 9 set for a couple of larger lenses. I also have a series 6 set for older small lenses. It seems one size doesn't fit all. I do have a really large orange filter for my 12 inch Wollensak Velostigmat series II lens - which is 90mm or 3 1/2 inches wide.