Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you standardize your screw-on filters by thread size?

Drew Wiley

Re: Do you standardize your screw-on filters by thread size?

Nothing but real glass filters would survive where I go. And a good multicoating is important for resisting condensation and other forms of smudging. Flare is less an issue in compendium-shaded view camera work than with wide-angle MF cameras per se. But I have a few uncoated Tiffen filters simply because nobody else had what I needed. Most are MC Hoyas or B&W's. A black and white backpacking set might be as simple as 25 red and 22 deep orange, with X1 med green added for desert scenes. Color photography is fussier with respect to specific filters, especially with Ektar.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But I have a few uncoated Tiffen filters simply because nobody else had what I needed.
    These are both cheap and desirable (an unlikely combo in LF work!) in the most hostile of environments. Spraying ocean water, mature forests with that occasional airborne hurricane of invisible, sappy particulates. I think I have this filter for all my lenses in all their proper filter sizes – it lives outside my strict 52mm + 77mm filter group rule; it’s the maverick of my accessories who lives dangerously.

Drew Wiley

The problem with Tiffens is they have to be cleaned prior to almost every use. Due to the lack of coating, the glass attracts smudges like a magnet, much like the inside of a car windshield above outgassing vinyl upholstery. But there are a handful of special color film filters they are now using coated glass for (these still involve a sandwich mfg process), obvious by the dramatically higher price. And I'm glad I own several Tiffen glass filters that even they don't make anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    An excellent "strap wrench" for seized filters in the field is simply a length of plastic Zip Tie. Useful to have in any pack for all kinds of unexpected repairs too, especially snowshoes.
    Zip ties are common in all of my camera bags/cases for the same reasons. I also carry a piece of the rubber non-slip router pad about 5" in diameter to remove filters from lenses. It allows for a good grip in the lens barrel if needed and it good in the darkroom or kitchen for removing lids and caps that have been over tightened.

Filter wise unfortunately I have a a variety of lenses of different sizes so I have a lot of filter sets up to 105mm and in series 8 and 9. I always have a stack of step up rings with me as well as wratten filter sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Robinson View Post
    Zip ties are common in all of my camera bags/cases for the same reasons. I also carry a piece of the rubber non-slip router pad about 5" in diameter to remove filters from lenses. It allows for a good grip in the lens barrel if needed and it good in the darkroom or kitchen for removing lids and caps that have been over tightened.

Filter wise unfortunately I have a a variety of lenses of different sizes so I have a lot of filter sets up to 105mm and in series 8 and 9. I always have a stack of step up rings with me as well as wratten filter sets.
    How do you handle filters with your 105mm? Which filters and what do you do? I have a 90mm Nikkor but the Schneider center filter is 105mm.

The lens is a Mamiya Sekor 250mm f5.0 on a Mamiya Super 23 and I have a 105mm glass UV filter that screws in to protect the lens. My next biggest lens is a Grandagon 90 f4.5 and that takes a 82 mm filter and I have screw in ones for that lens as well. As the filters for other large and medium format lenses drop in sizes, if I don't have a filter to fit the lens I will use step up/down rings to adapt the filters. I also have a large selection of Wratten Filters that I can use with a series 8 filter frame holder. I have a Pentax 95mm red filter for the Pentax 67 that I would like to use but it has the bayonet mount on it and I haven't found a way to adapt it to the Grandagon yet. I have a box of 4x5 Kodak Infrared I would like to use it with..

My 4x5 lens kit consists of a 90mm, a 150mm and a 210mm. All are from different manufacturers. Filters are all 72m. Each lens has whatever combination of step-up rings necessary to get up to that 72mm thread.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thanks to Ken Lee's blog - one of the most practical sites out there btw, I converted from collecting filters one lens at a time to becoming a convinced user of step-up rings so I can use one set of filters (67mm) for all but one of my lenses in all formats (Rolleiflex 3F excepted) - so I guess that's just 35mm and 4X5. Also use a Lee 100x100 set fitted to the same 67mm size though I wish it were one of their or Cokin's smaller squares. For graduated ND's these squares get the job done.

Now if I can just figure out what to do with all the others randomly collected in my prior photo years!

I havemore filter systems than I can shake a stick at. Each and every lens has a UV filter for protection. Every system has the common Yellow, Red, Green, Polarizer, ND3, ND6.
    For your amusement:

Rollei 35 cameras have step-up rings for the more commonly available 37mm filter thread (the usual suspects plus 81A, 81B)
    Leica Lenses in 43 and 46mm (they wanted to be different).
    Lenses that take 49mm have a step-up to 52mm.
    Rollei SL66 has a Bay VI to 67mm step-up.
    Most of my large format lenses are threaded for 67mm - a complete set for them.
    Some lenses take 86mm and 112mm; for these I have a Yellow and a Polarizer only.

Cokin A and Cokin P Systems for those thread sizes where a step-up or a step-down ring is too big of a jump.
    Years ago I invested in the larger Cokin X-Pro for those lenses between 77mm and up - I did not take to this system and it may be culled.

Clearly, this is a cry for help.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

As I mentioned earlier I started off with screw-in filters for 35mm camera but switched to a Cokin-P system when I moved to medium format and then to a Cokin Z-Pro system when I added LF (4x5 and 8x10). My current set-up is shown below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filter.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	212870

Step-up rings corresponding to each of my lenses are attached to the Z-Pro's 95mm adapter ring which is kept packed in the case as shown. So for example, if I want to use a lens with a 67mm thread, I simply unscrew the appropriate section of step-rings and attached to the lens. If I add a new lens then I simply add the appropriate step-up ring to the set-up. It's a simple system which is both fail proof (you always have the appropriate step-up ring regardless of the lens are camera being used and its quite compact as you can see.

Originally I was using 4x4/4x5 resin filters but am gradually replacing them with glass filters with a 4x4 Tiffen Deep Yellow 15 filter added within the past 30 days. Glass filters are thicker than resin but the Z-Pro has a slot that will accommodate 1 glass filter but by loosening the width adjusting/tightening screws you can install a 2d glass filter in the holder which will accommodate 3 resin filters in addition to the one glass. I chose the Z-Pro over the similar looking Lee system because you didn't need to carry a small screwdriver with you to adjust the widths. Shown next to the system is a Schneider 4x4 True Circular Polarizer which works with the Z-Pro.

This set-up works for all of my lenses for each format excepting the 14" Veritar and the 400mm Pentax 67. I can hand-hold a 4x4 filter over the front lens element of the Veritar and use a rear mounted filter on the Pentax.