Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from D.C.

Greetings from D.C.

New to LF photography, happy owner of a new to me 4x5 Pacemaker speed graphic. Made the jump from 35mm and medium format and will hopefully be doing my first portrait shoot later this month with a friend of mine using a Schneider Symmar 210 f/5.6 (waiting on the lens board in the mail).

Looking forward to learning a lot from this board, since it seems there are a lot of seasoned photographers here.

Re: Greetings from D.C.

Welcome! You will love this forum.

Welcome!
    Lots of great info here.

welcome!

Hi, kville79. I'm guessing you hail from Washington, DC. In any case, yes, this is a forum with lots of talent and expertise is everything photographic -- and a lot else! -- and the large format place to be. will you be shooting portraits in natural light? Color, B&W, both?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Hi there and welcome!

I spend part of my time in DC, and shoot with an Intrepid 4x5 there, but also my Crown Graphic on the street (Navy Yard area). I'm new to LF as well. Fabulous journey!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Welcome from Southern Maryland

Welcome indeed! Last year we talked briefly about organizing a Washington-area LF get-together, but that got Covidized. Hoping that with upcoming immunizations we'll be able to schedule one this coming... I don't know... August? Hope I can get my act together and work on that... and that 49 West will re-open to facilitate (local jazz/coffeehouse here in Annapolis). Scott Davis had organized a local virtual zoom or something in the meantime, but I'm not sure whether that's still alive and kicking or not. There's a lot of great talent on this forum - myself excluded! and a lot of passion (my specialty). LF can tend to fill large time blocks, but nothing else speaks etching light on to a sheet of coated plastic quite like it. And having shot some "intro to macro" (interior) shots over the weekend, I can add nothing pushes the learning curve quite like a view camera, and if you enjoy even the foibles and host of negatives (literally... and metaphorically, too!), let's just say it can be difficult to avoid it becoming an obsession. Except of course it seems to father a lot of other accompanying obsessions like lighting, printing, zone testing, etc. "And I just thought I'd take a few 4X5's for yucks?" Right. But in some ways, with LF you get the best of film's tonality with the virtue of digital's "every shot is different" (cause you can change film stock with each shot), but at the substantial price of gear poundage and time. And yes, LF let's you combine a physical workout with the mental: the old Greek ideal of an unsound body and unsound mind thrown behind a honking big camera single mindedly designed to either reform or break both.

Greetings from Alexandria!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Hi, kville79. I'm guessing you hail from Washington, DC. In any case, yes, this is a forum with lots of talent and expertise is everything photographic -- and a lot else! -- and the large format place to be. will you be shooting portraits in natural light? Color, B&W, both?
    Black and White with natural light for my first few frames. I intend to take my Nikon F and shoot the same shot with 35mm at comparable apertures and focal lengths and do a comparison to see how much of a difference it makes. Would do it with MF too, but right now all my medium formats are TLR's with a fixed focal length, so it wouldn't be a true comparison