Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon 90mm/f5.6 SWD rear element doesn't fit on a Wista 45SP - alternatives?

Fujinon 90mm/f5.6 SWD rear element doesn't fit on a Wista 45SP - alternatives?

So I got the Fujinon SWD 90mm/f5.6 a long time ago, and I mostly used it on a Toyo View monorail camera, which has a huge lens board.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Wista 45SP, and I discovered that the Fujinon's rear lens element can't fit in the camera, which is a huge let-down. I do have an older Angulon 90/f6.8, but I am looking for a newer design and, better still, a bit closer to the 125mm focal length.

There's a lot of Fujinon 105mm & 125mm lenses on eBay, but I'm trying to avoid shipping from Japan to EU (costly, customs, long ETA, etc).

I found a Grandagon-N 115mm/f6.8, but I'm very much afraid that its rear element won't fit through the front standard hole of the Wista SP.

Any experience with the Grandagon or these other lenses on this particular camera?

Re: Fujinon 90mm/f5.6 SWD rear element doesn't fit on a Wista 45SP - alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by thicktheo View Post
    So I got the Fujinon SWD 90mm/f5.6 a long time ago, and I mostly used it on a Toyo View monorail camera, which has a huge lens board.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Wista 45SP, and I discovered that the Fujinon's rear lens element can't fit in the camera, which is a huge let-down. I do have an older Angulon 90/f6.8, but I am looking for a newer design and, better still, a bit closer to the 125mm focal length.

There's a lot of Fujinon 105mm & 125mm lenses on eBay, but I'm trying to avoid shipping from Japan to EU (costly, customs, long ETA, etc).

I found a Grandagon-N 115mm/f6.8, but I'm very much afraid that its rear element won't fit through the front standard hole of the Wista SP.

Any experience with the Grandagon or these other lenses on this particular camera?
    90 and 115 Grandagon lenses will fit. So will Nikon 90mm lenses.

Re: Fujinon 90mm/f5.6 SWD rear element doesn't fit on a Wista 45SP - alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by thicktheo View Post

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Wista 45SP, and I discovered that the Fujinon's rear lens element can't fit in the camera, which is a huge let-down.
    Can you remove the rear elements, mount the shutter (lens) on your camera, then from the back of the camera, remove the back and re-screw in the rear elements to the back of the shutter? I've had to do this in the past. Sounds like a pain to do, but in practice takes less than a minute to do. After doing this a few times, just becomes part of the routine for setting up the camera.

Strange. I have used my 90 SWD on my Wista 45SP. Well, I think it is an SP because it isn't always very clear which is which. But it is the version with the knobs for the back frame swing. I have to admit it is a very careful thing to put it on. The rear element of the 90 SWD only just passes. You cannot put the lensboard in the bottom holders first. You need to put the back of the lens through the hole in the front frame first, put the lens in as far as you can, THEN put it in the lower holders and lock it with the top clamp.

I vaguely remember having read that there can be 2 front frames for the Wista. And the diameter of the hole is not the same. Maybe someone with more experience and knowledge can answer this.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    90 and 115 Grandagon lenses will fit. So will Nikon 90mm lenses.
    That is great news, I'm on course for that 115mm Grandagon-N.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Can you remove the rear elements, mount the shutter (lens) on your camera, then from the back of the camera, remove the back and re-screw in the rear elements to the back of the shutter? I've had to do this in the past. Sounds like a pain to do, but in practice takes less than a minute to do. After doing this a few times, just becomes part of the routine for setting up the camera.
    I indeed can, but it is a pain to do so. I've been doing it for my Speed Graphic with the same lens, and I never really enjoyed the process. I would much prefer a lens that doesn't need me to dismantle half the camera in order to use it...

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    But it is the version with the knobs for the back frame swing.

[...]

I vaguely remember having read that there can be 2 front frames for the Wista. And the diameter of the hole is not the same. Maybe someone with more experience and knowledge can answer this.
    Yes, that's the SP, with the back-swing knobs.

I also suspect that there are two different versions for this particular front frame. There's more info out there that suggests the Fujinon 90mm/5.6 fits on this camera, but sadly my Fujinon doesn't fit through my 45SP, in any way I tried to...

It is a magnificent lens and it's a shame that I either have to keep it on the monorail camera or just plainly sell it...

1. The Wista 45D (both the wood finish and black versions) and the 45SP have the "micro-swing" knobs. The SP has front swing, the 45D doesn't. They also share the same back with the clips on top.
    2. The 45N, 45VX and 45RF do not have the micro-swing knobs. The N has manual rise/fall and a fixed bellows, no front swing. The VX and RF have front swing, and the RF, well, has the rangefinder. All three share the same back with sliding tabs that are revealed when the back is rotated 45 degrees.
    3. All metal Wista field cameras have rear swing.

If your lens doesn't fit the front frame, please see this post:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Boards-to-fit

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    If your lens doesn't fit the front frame, please see this post:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Boards-to-fit

Kumar
    Hello Kumar,

Thanks for the clarifying info. After close inspection, my 45SP (it has the micro-swing knobs and front swing) indeed has the "extra lip" inner plate. Now, I can either change it with the new inner plate you've linked, or I can just get the bag bellows for it. Since it's a 90mm lens to be used on it, I guess the bag bellows is a better investment? (although more expensive)

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    1. The Wista 45D (both the wood finish and black versions) and the 45SP have the "micro-swing" knobs. The SP has front swing, the 45D doesn't. They also share the same back with the clips on top.
    2. The 45N, 45VX and 45RF do not have the micro-swing knobs. The N has manual rise/fall and a fixed bellows, no front swing. The VX and RF have front swing, and the RF, well, has the rangefinder. All three share the same back with sliding tabs that are revealed when the back is rotated 45 degrees.
    3. All metal Wista field cameras have rear swing.

Kumar
    Thanks for this! So I have a 45D, no front swing.

Like thicktheo above I'd like to know about the possibility of availability and using of a bag bellow.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Old School Wayne

Kumar is selling a Wista bag bellows on Photrio, don't know if its still there or not or if its listed here too.

I used to use a 90mm Schneider (don't remember if it was the Angulon or Super) on my Wista sp, but sold it long ago.

Edit: yes I do. It was an f8 SA

i have the same problrm with my wista but found out the problem is the bellows opening... my bellows is a new replacement, the hole is smaller than the original.

i just put the rear cell in through the back after i mount the lens board on the camera. pita but the lens is so nice i dont really mind the extra step.

see the thread here...

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...lens+fit+wista