Thread: 3D printer for lens stuff

3D printer for lens stuff

I just got a Dremel 3D45 3D printer. I really got it to make enclosures for some of the odor-sensing chips I'm working with but as a first project I made Waterhouse stops for my Darlot lens as well as an adapter to let me front mount my Luc shutter on it. I'm pretty sure I can print lensboards with it. the output seems more than strong enough to handle a reasonable sized lens for 5 x 7 or 4 x 5. For some reason I don't seem to be able to upload a photo so here's a link to a picture on Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnb9lhk9tw...Small.jpg?dl=0

Edit: By the way, when the file is preprocessed for the printer, solid areas are filled with a honeycomb (or other) pattern so there is just a solid rim around holes. It uses a lot less material and saves a lot of time in addition to making a very lightweight but strong part.. If I were making a lensboard I'd make it with the hole in place for whatever lens I was planning to mount. In order to have sufficient material around the hole to screw on a flange it's possible to specify a "wall thickness" thick enough to take the fastener. Tests have been done with bolts threaded directly into a 3D printed panel and extraction force required was well over 100Kg so it shouldn't present a problem for most lenses.
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 12-Feb-2021 at 21:10.

Re: 3D printer for lens stuff

Is the result light tight? I have heard that some materials are not and let light through... not good for lens boards.

It all depends on the material used, the thickness of the item, and the percentage of infill. There is always the option of painting ia lens board. There is also the cost of materials and machine power, so I look at whether I can do as good a job with birch ply or aluminium sheet before I design for the printer.

those 3D printers are amazing. I was thinking of getting one but after long thought, Its not really worth the money. BUT I am still intrigued by them still wouldnt mind playing with one.

Ive had frirends make a few things for me. I needed besselr 4x5 filter holders which arent as easy to find anymore. They came out great n work just as good as the OEMs made of metal.

I wonder if it would be worth the while to sell your printing services?... small scale to start.

Amazing stuff!

Looks good, Jim! My local library has 3d printers that members can use. This is terrific for small prints.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I put the stops in front of a high powered LED flashlight and the 1mm plastic is light tight. There were a couple of pinholes where I tried to emboss the f-stop label 1/2mm deep but that would be outside of the lens. I tried them out this afternoon and will develop the film later tonight

Hi !
    Look for inireshop guy at ePay - he prints lens boards,caps, hoods etc... Looks interesting. I will try his lens board for my Rittreck next week.
    Best,
    Igor.
    www.igafoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I just got a Dremel 3D45 3D printer. I really got it to make enclosures for some of the odor-sensing chips I'm working with but as a first project I made Waterhouse stops for my Darlot lens as well as an adapter to let me front mount my Luc shutter on it. I'm pretty sure I can print lensboards with it. the output seems more than strong enough to handle a reasonable sized lens for 5 x 7 or 4 x 5. For some reason I don't seem to be able to upload a photo so here's a link to a picture on Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnb9lhk9tw...Small.jpg?dl=0

Edit: By the way, when the file is preprocessed for the printer, solid areas are filled with a honeycomb (or other) pattern so there is just a solid rim around holes. It uses a lot less material and saves a lot of time in addition to making a very lightweight but strong part.. If I were making a lensboard I'd make it with the hole in place for whatever lens I was planning to mount. In order to have sufficient material around the hole to screw on a flange it's possible to specify a "wall thickness" thick enough to take the fastener. Tests have been done with bolts threaded directly into a 3D printed panel and extraction force required was well over 100Kg so it shouldn't present a problem for most lenses.
    Gyroid infill is the strongest infill. PrusaSlicer (and Slic3r) has modifiers so you can add extra material just where it's needed instead of the entire shell.

Thanks - I looked at Prusa but it didn't look like the Dremel was supported. (Yet???)