Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenshood for Large Format Lenses

Lenshood for Large Format Lenses

Hi all,
    Does anyone use a lens hood for large format lenses?
    Does it make any sense to use a lens hood for a Schenider Super summar 110 XL?
    If yes which type is more suitable?
    Thanks
    Mario
    Mario

Re: Lenshood for Large Format Lenses

Some shade sun and glare with the darkslide, handheld as they trigger the shutter

In studio I always try to use a compendium hood

I buy used always, but here are a variety

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/C...1/N/4075788774
    Tin Can

I have a 90mm Super-Angulon XL-110 which I believe is similar to your optic. Finally acquired a HORSEMAN front bellows unit that is large enough to be used with the SA XL. I hope to figure out how to adapt the HORSEMAN to my Chanonix. Relatively easy to a Sinar, but challenging to a Chamonix. Up to now used a 8"x8" piece of black Foamcore on an articulating arm. Worked but not all the time.

I use the darkslide, hand, hat, whatever to shade the lens. The compendium units are certainly more efficient at shielding the lens, but once you start employing movements proper setting of the lens shade can be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    The compendium units are certainly more efficient at shielding the lens, but once you start employing movements proper setting of the lens shade can be problematic.
    Agree 100%, for me especially with wide angle lenses. Attached is what I have been using. Love using compendium units with long lenses, but have ruined too many negatives shot with compendium units on wide angle lenses, especially ultra wide angle lenses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 533.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Agree 100%, for me especially with wide angle lenses. Attached is what I have been using. Love using compendium units with long lenses, but have ruined too many negatives shot with compendium units on wide angle lenses, especially ultra wide angle lenses.
    Not if it attaches to the front standard and has lots of movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Not if it attaches to the front standard and has lots of movements.
    Problem lies with the user... me, and not with the compendium unit. Specifically an OEM Sinar compendium on the front of my Norma or my X and using a Sinar binocular reflex viewer. For whatever reason had no problems when using a dark cloth, but had multiple negatives ruined when only using the Binocular reflex viewer.

For outdoor "natural light" images, shading the lens using the dark slide or similar works good. Nothing fancy, just functional as lugging more stuff around is not really needed in this case.

For indoor-studio and highly set up images using a view camera like strobe lighted table top or similar. Sinar bellows with clips or extra standard to support the bellows open ends to the lens works good. Sinar made a variety of lens shades that are essentially universal. From simple bellows clip with a hex rod to an adjustable curtains on four sides to four barn doors...

Specific lens shade depends on what is needed.

Bernice

Generally speaking, I like to have the ability to use a lenshood with any lens. But sometimes I wonder. For example, if you have a traditional bag bellows with a single pleat, might it not be enough to shade the front of the lens from the sun? Even if light enters the interior of the camera from other directions than the shaded sun, will it not be reflected into the interior black folds of a large bag bellows? Is the image circle of a shorter focal length super wide large enough to be of concern?

Assuming a lenshood is needed, a Lee type compendium lenshodd can work fine with longer lenses. But, it gets tough with superwides.

I recently purchased a 90mm SA XL which has a huge image circle, and which has a 95mm filter thread. In the meantime, I had already purchased an old-style Arca Swiss lenshood that has four separate, adjustable blades that can shade the 4x5 film right down to it's four edges. Moreover, this lenshood rear opening is large enough to insert the front of my new lens. So, problem solved.

For filters if needed, I believe I can use the Lee 4" system with gels. I sure don't want to go out and purchase glass filters for this lens.

I have a rubber collapsable screw on hood that works with my 135mm and above. I use step up rings with it to fit smaller lenses. shorter formats I use my hand or the slide.

like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l?sts=pi&pim=Y
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography