Re: Teeny, tiny wood screws

I have a lot of used screws if needed.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I have a lot of used screws if needed.

Jon
    If you have a few #0 wood screws that are 1/4" long, please start a PM with me and we'll work something out. Thanks!

A while back bought several boxes of assorted small screws off eBay. My experience... Some of the boxes of assorted steel wood screws were excellent and others subpar. Boxes of assorted brass screws were all of excellent quality. Actual screw sizes almost always seemed to be very slightly larger than the indicated sizes and or dimensions. Out of buying 6 boxes of assorted wood screws, ended up throwing away 2 boxes and keeping 4. Taking into account the low prices of all the boxes, I felt it was still worth it.

Model shop that caters for those that build historical ship models.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Drew Wiley

I use McMaster whenever possible because you get the product quality being specified. Fasteners made in China, sold the majority of places, are sheer junk and tend to snap or strip easily. The same can be said for drill bits - you'll need some tiny number size of that too. But McMaster doesn't carry any micro screw sizes below no. 2 that that I'm aware of. If you can find a Hobby Shop or model train store open under current circumstances, it's possible to buy just a few and try them. But these little critters are so cheap that whenever I buy specialty screws, I prefer to buy a full box, just to have spares around that I haven't dropped out of sight!

I bought a bag of 50 off some supplier on the 'bay, but about a third of them were defective with shallow or no threads or with size or head issues... Same seller had another listing for "better" grade of same product, so can we assume seller was aware of cheaper batch was inferior/defective quality???

Steve K

Drew Wiley

Steve - Good versus Better versus Ordinary translates into Junk, Junkier, and Worthless. Go to a specialty supplier who has a pro clientele instead. I happened to work for a company that had about two million dollars worth of high-quality stainless fasteners in inventory in the next room over from my own office. If I needed something special, the owner of a big fastener supplier would simply hand me a free box the next week on his ordinary rounds. I had a thick manual in my desk detailing just about every alloy of stainless, brass, and bronze one could think of. We had lots of marine, industrial, and military customer, plus salty air all around. For anything else, there was McMaster, or a six block drive to the local industrial nuts n' bolts specialty house. Lucky geography, so guess I was spoiled in that respect. And one of the best model shops in the West right up the street (now gone). But what all those years of experience taught me is that ordinary sources are have steadily become junk outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Steve - Good versus Better versus Ordinary translates into Junk, Junkier, and Worthless. Go to a specialty supplier who has a pro clientele instead. I happened to work for a company that had about two million dollars worth of high-quality stainless fasteners in inventory in the next room over from my own office. If I needed something special, the owner of a big fastener supplier would simply hand me a free box the next week on his ordinary rounds. I had a thick manual in my desk detailing just about every alloy of stainless, brass, and bronze one could think of. We had lots of marine, industrial, and military customer, plus salty air all around. For anything else, there was McMaster, or a six block drive to the local industrial nuts n' bolts specialty house. Lucky geography, so guess I was spoiled in that respect. And one of the best model shops in the West right up the street (now gone). But what all those years of experience taught me is that ordinary sources are have steadily become junk outlets.
    You are right, but I needed a few in a hurry, and these won't hold much down, so what could go wrong??? :-(

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I use McMaster whenever possible because you get the product quality being specified.
    Yeah, I love McMaster, but they don't have any as small as what I need. Thanks!