Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you shooting more than one format

Re: Are you shooting more than one format

35mm Digital, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 4x5" and 8x10"
    Often scouting with digital, then I come back with film.
    Very selective in 8x10", can't remember even one that I wasn't content with this format.
    Last edited by fotopfw; 28-Feb-2021 at 14:02. Reason: syntax
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Digital: FX.
    Film: 6x6, 6x9, and 5x12 cm. 4x5, whole plate, 8x10, and 11x14 inches.
    The colder it gets out there the smaller the format I tend to use.
    Try to stick with shooting only one format and one subject matter per week.

primarily: 617 and 5x7

Also shoot: 645, 690, 4x5 and 8x10

I also have a Horseman and can easily switch out the rear standards & bellows to either shoot 4/5 or 5/7. Nice to have the option.

Sony Digital FF, Leica and Nikon 35mm, Rollei 6x6, Canham 4x5 (and unused for years, a 6x9 roll film slide-in holder). Ilford HP5+ for all formats.

I am relieved that I'm not the only one taking pictures with various cameras and formats . I think I will still keep the possibility to shoot both 4x5 and 5x7 on the Horseman since I would actually be able to keep a complete rear standard with GG and bellows, so switching would be easy and I would have a spare L-shape standard. I actually use mostly Ilford B&W and had used some Velvia some years ago - would have to have a look at what holders I can put my hands on since 5x7 seem to be rare around here, but I saw Ilford FP4 is still around in 13x18cm size as are Fomapan and ADOX.

35mm Digital, 645 6x12 and 4x5. Digital for work and macro or when I need a shot immediately, 645 for the camera I always have with me and 6x12 and 4x5 for planned photography for myself.
    Jim

Jim Sidinger

Stefan,
    I'm impressed by the folks who have posted earlier and who seem to be able to use such a wide range of formats effectively. For myself, however, I tried for a while to do 6x7 (Mamya RB) and 4x5 (Ebony) but found that they were different enough that I had to put more brain cells into the mechanics of the process than the creative part. I have come to feel that the mechanics should be so effortless and automatic that 100% of my efforts needed to be on the image I was making. So I went to 4x5 and stayed with it. That worked for me, but maybe I'm just too simple-minded.

Last year I started using 5x7 some and, while the different aspect ratio is taking some getting used to, being both LF, sheet film formats they are enough alike that the mechanics were natural.

If you are anything like me, I'd suggest picking one or two and stick with that. I'd keep with the 4x5 and 5x7.
    Best, Jim

35mm, 6x9, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. Primarily use 6x9 and 5x7 - they seem to be the favorites lately. Need to use the other formats this spring and summer to reduce the inventory of film.

Depends on the project. I go for 35mm for street, travel and more documentary-style photos: anything that calls for quick reaction and improvisation.

Used to have medium format (various sizes) for portraits and some nature stuff, but I'm moving toward 4x5 because I have two special projects that call for a slow and more deliberate aspect of photography.

I like the idea that you can have one format that calls for you to work very fast, very instinctively, and one that calls for time and reflexion. I also find it interesting that they call for very different types and modes of contact with people when photographing them.

I don't do digital. Nothing against it. I just think film is magic.

In the LF arena it's just 6x12 and 4x5 for me, same camera of course, just swap the back.

I don't want multiple options, I just want to grab a camera and go, not try to decide if it's going to be a 10x8 subject or a 6x12 subject, get there and find I should have brought a different camera.

That said, if you are car based and shooting not far from the vehicle, I guess you can take them all