Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you shooting more than one format

Re: Are you shooting more than one format

In ascending size-

Super 8, Minox, 110, 16mm, half frame, 35mm, 645, 6x6, 6x9, 6x12, 4x5. I don't have an 8x10 anymore. I only ever take one at a time with me.

Digital too, but who cares?

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Instant film: SX70 & Instax Wide (awaiting back from Lomo)

Not-so-Instant film: 35mm, 4x5 (Handheld, Field & Studio) & 5x7 (Studio) Just sold 6x9 back to afford the 5x7.

Digital: DX DSLR & Android

Just slyly got an old Nikon 35mm film camera with motor drive to fill the family snapshot niche thereby putting the DSLR mostly to pasture. Understandably, even though family supports my/our plunge into LF, they longed for when I captured them quickly--not ponderously--in candids and action images. I still get to use film; they get me back in my mad snapper mode. Developing & scanning quickly, I can send them the images later that day.

DSLR does get some use: scanning my LF format negatives for evaluation. Maybe a future family event like a graduation when we have them again?

35mm or 6x6 tlr for family outings. 6x7 , 3x4 and 4x5 for me.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

I've shot enough good photos that made it into serious prints with the "Leica" in my Huawei Mate 9 Pro phone to consider it a legitimate part of my regular kit. "The best camera is the one you have with you," is a quote that pops into my head often. Can save as DNG files natively. Its monochrome feature looks spectacular.
    My "serious" digital is a Nikon D800. Love it. I still hang on to my ancient Sony A100, which mostly serves as a trusty spot meter for LF these days.
    In film, I shoot everything that I have available. A wonderful Minolta XE-7 is my main 35mm. I have an old Argus C3 brick as my fun 35mm, and got some nice shots with it. For medium format, my Zeiss Box Tengor 6x9 consistently gets shots that are way too good for what it is, including several that became serious prints. I have a Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16 that has gotten some great shots as well, but now the lens is jacked up from the balsam getting loose on a lens element, causing it to become crooked...it's become a DIY repair project. Have a 6x9 back for my Cambo SC, which is what I use for "serious business" medium format and has made me reluctant to invest in any more medium format cameras because how could they compete? I shoot lots of 4x5 on the Cambo and love every minute of it. In the process of rebuilding my Seneca 8x10. Impressed enough with the shots I got with it to decide to give it an overhaul and try to get it up to par for serious business. I look to be shooting 8x10 for most of what I intend to render as alt prints in the future. Seriously considering fabricating a 5x7 reducing back for it to round out the format collection.

I keep seeing all these old 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 "Whole Plate" cameras for cheap. Very tempted to try the format, because it seems like a nice intermediary between 4x5 and 8x10 that maintains a similar aspect ratio (as opposed to 5x7). Incidentally, I printed a few of my Leica Phone shots at this size to get a feel for how the format looks as a print, and I dig it.

The point of my rambling is that I love shooting photos no matter what camera I use. Each format (and individual camera) brings its own vibe and workflow, which translates to a different kind of image than I would have gotten otherwise. Like Bob Marley said about different guitars having different songs in them.

multiplex

I have been shooting multi formats for a while now but the past handful of years I haven't used a camera much I've been doing a lot of cameraless work.

Aside from DX and FX digital I shoot 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12, 9x12, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. Lately it's been mostly FX and 8x10.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

I've bounced around a bit but seemingly always come back to 8x10... my biggest issue has been navigating some mental issues with nearly all of my mentors being single format people (almost all 8x10).

35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 5x7, 8x10

I used to shoot APS-C and mirrorless but have sold those now and my only digital camera is a Google Pixel 2. Sometimes I'll borrow my mentor's full-frame Nikon for studio test shots.

Lately it's been all 5x7 and 8x10. Something about the view camera.........