Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange accessories.

Question Strange accessories.

I purchased a used 4X5 kit last weekend from a guy whose father passed away. Included in the "stuff" were quite a few KIWOTO, inc. welding rod storage tubes. Do they have a use in LF photography? It's also possible they were included because they were lying with the photo equipment. Have no idea what to do with them except for weather tight storage of small ICBMs or sell as welding rod storage tubes.

Thanks
    _Karl

loujon

Re: Strange accessories.

Maybe used to develop sheet film. Think - BTZS tubes https://fotophilosophy.wordpress.com...nd-btzs-tubes/

You'll find odd things that way. Last year I bought a box of mostly darkroom ventilation stuff at a swap meet. Buried under the fans & ductwork (which have turned out to be quite useful) there was an FAA publication on aerial navigation for amateur pilots, from 1948. I sent that to a good friend who is a corporate pilot- he loved it.

Maybe for storing rolled up prints?

Theymay not actually be part of the photo gear.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I think Louis is correct. These work well as 8x10 BTZS tubes. I have a set of 6 plus extra caps of the same brand.

I think you may have it, Jason. An 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper fits perfectly so an 8x10 would be even more... perfect????

_Karl

Just before reading this thread I was looking at this old picture of some "photography equipment" mentioned in an ad that I went to see a few years ago...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLS2000 Haul.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	212624

A few years ago J&C sold a particular welding tube for developing 8x10 negatives. They had tested and found it lightproof. I used mine a lot before switching to hangers. Pour the developer into the tube in the light and have premeasured bottles of stop and fixer.

Strange accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    A few years ago J&C sold a particular welding tube for developing 8x10 negatives. They had tested and found it lightproof. I used mine a lot before switching to hangers. Pour the developer into the tube in the light and have premeasured bottles of stop and fixer.
    Yes! That is right. I got my set from J&C about 15 years ago as part of a deal with lots of the Chinese made (Shanghai?) 8x10 film they sold.

Here is one of the 8x10 tubes next to a 4x5 BTZS tube:

welding rods use to came in metal tubes. They are great for holding all sorts of things that normally dont fit anywhere.
    Print storage maybe, Im not too keen on rolling prints as it stresses the emulsion....
    developing Im not sure of because of the type metal; unless its plastic.