Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: threading the needle

Re: threading the needle

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I would trade listening to Tristan und Isolde instead of the Ring any day of the week, and use the remaining ~12 hrs to indulge in some photography.
    Probably my preference too. ;^)

Of course, one might experience The Ring over four evenings, as Wagner intended, and shoot photos during the morning and afternoon hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Sure, but he's in the latter part of the period, and at least in my thoughts, the pinnacle of the style (for better or worse).

With regard to operas - I greatly enjoyed seeing the MET live broadcasts of "Akhnaten" by Philip Glass and "Wozzeck" by Alban Berg - the latter being a big influence on me when I was working on a degree in composition. My favorite MET broadcast though has been "Nixon in China" by John Adams!
    I agree Wozzek is truly an amazing opera.
    Although enjoyable, I can’t say I’m too fond of Glass. I was going to make a pun with ‘ground glass’ but I’ll refrain :-)

I have a couple records from Glass, including some works that I don't think have been re-released on CD. My wife thinks I'm a bit crazy when I listen to them - they are certainly "out there."

I love the minimalistic work from him and Adams using repeated melodic fragments and themes. I'd link to a string quartet that I wrote using these kinds of thematic elements but my old composition website is long gone...maybe I should upload them to YouTube.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Since we have left photography behind for Wagner...
    Maybe we haven’t left photography too far behind, since the experience of music and photography are akin, as forum comments perennially suggest.

One might recall AA, a capable pianist, and his famous analogy…

Negative = musical score : Print = performance. (Of course, he may not have been thinking of a Wagner score or performance when he came up with this!)

For me, the overture to Wagner’s “Tannhauser” and those spine-tingling, cascading violins come to mind when I see a mountain stream’s sparkling, cascading water. And vice versa. Each seems to be an analogue of the other.

Fascinating that my comment triggered such an outpouring! I wasn't aware there were so many opera-lovers and musicians among us.

The opera discussion so far just underlines my point. Wozzeck is no less great than Tristan than Ahknaten than Rosenkavalier (one of my personal favorites) than Porgy and Bess than... They each have their own set of overlapping audiences. And, there are a lot of people (a majority?) who would turn up their noses at opera and classical music altogether (and make fun of it to boot).

Know your yourself and what you want to communicate and your audience will logically follow. If it doesn't exist yet, you'll have to do some convincing. Still, the idea is about sharing an artistic vision with others, not just pleasing one's self. Maybe there are those with stunning prints hanging on their walls that no one else has ever seen and who don't care if anyone ever appreciates their work. These people would, logically, not be interesting in a forum such as this either.

I'm partial to sharing.

As for the operas mentioned; I like them all, but I'll add Verdi's Falstaff and Le Nozze to the list as well. And for Corran, Moses und Aaron and Jacob's Leiter (both of which I saw a few times when I lived in Vienna - luckily - they don't get performed all that much).

Best,

Doremus

No love here for Shostakovitch? Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk is a favorite of mine. Despite the libretto's rather grotesque subject matter, it has a great deal of really beautiful music in it.

Though I tend more towards instrumental music, I am also very fond of Der Rosenkavalier, and just about any opera by Mozart.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Plenty of love for here for Shostakovich.

I’m surprised to see Moses und Aaron mentioned. It isn’t often heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    No love here for Shostakovitch? Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk is a favorite of mine. Despite the libretto's rather grotesque subject matter, it has a great deal of really beautiful music in it.

Though I tend more towards instrumental music, I am also very fond of Der Rosenkavalier, and just about any opera by Mozart.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    “I have seen and greatly enjoyed the first act of everything Wagner created, but the effect on me has always been so powerful that one act was quite sufficient; after two acts I have gone away physically exhausted.”—Mark Twain
    Yeah, something like that. I like Walther’s Price Song, Tristan and Isolde parts very much, all the Ouvertures in Walküre, the Siegfried Idylle and some more also very much. But I agree with Nietzsche’s final statement, who admired his work first but in the end he found that there are just too long boring episodes between important area’s and other highlights.
    I don’t understand why I have to have more saddle pain after a Wagner Opera than after a 60 mile drive on my racing bike.

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    saddle pain
    I'm afraid I've never heard a live performance of Wagner, but after the egregious "man-spreading" it took to make it through my first Mahler, it's probably just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Plenty of love for here for Shostakovich.

I’m surprised to see Moses und Aaron mentioned. It isn’t often heard.
    An advantage of living in Vienna and having the Wiener Staatsoper just around the corner from your apartment. I mentioned it since Corran is a Schönberg fan (as am I - Guürre-Lieder - Wow!).

I'm surprised and delighted to find so many classical music and opera fans who are also fellow photographers. Great minds...

Doremus