Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Used Norman 200b

Re: Used Norman 200b

Fixing up a Norman 200c.

This is the later version of the time proven reliable Norman 200b. This 200c was part of a group of Norman strobe system bits. Inside the 200c battery compartment was a note saying blown fuse, needs repair. No schematic, but some idea of what might go wrong causing the fuse to fail. High on the list were the power FETS used to drive the HV converter transformers. Turns out this guess was correct. One of the four BUZ11A power fets was shorted Drain to Source causing the fuse to fail. The difficult part was extracting all four power fets for replacement.

The power configuration of the 200c is different than the 200b as likely has two sections of HV power conversion which is switched as needed to vary the power output of 50w/s or 100w/s or 200w/s. Two BUZ11A power fets are run together in parallel per HV power conversion section. This also means best to match the two BUZ11A power fets per section. BUZ11A power fets have been around for decades, easily available at low cost. Got a more than a few stuck them on the Tek 576 curve tracer matching up the sets needed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norman 200c, BUZ11A matching.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	217688

Made up the power device mounting hardware and heatsink GOooo, put them in. 200c uses the power fet heatsink as part of their mechanical assembly and pcb support, sort of ok design.

Name:	Norman 200c board bott.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	217689

Top of the pcb assembly.

Name:	Norman 200c, board top.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	217690

Got the 200c back together.. remarkable it works after sitting waiting to be repaired all these decades.

No battery came with this 200c. Had to figure out the batter connections illustrated below. Notable is the battery pack's +12 volt goes direct to the case, battery return are the two spring terminals at the top. They are connected together to run the 200c. Next up, make a battery pack for the 200c.

Name:	Norman 200c Battery con.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	217691

200c is about half the weight of the 200b with the same light output.

This makes up a good Norman 200 system with more than one LH2 lamp head and reflectors and related accessories.
    200w/s is not quite enough for view camera stuff, but the plans for these Norman 200w/s strobe units are in process.

Bernice

Great job, Bernice!!! Injured but not (too) dead...

I love it when different areas of technology, mechanics, experience, creativity, processes etc come together to provide us with the tools to help us to transcend to create new ideas, new visions, new communications, beauty etc...

Steve K

Thanks for all the battery advice on the 400B - I'll investigate these suggestions

Phil

I need a bit of help, I want to rebuild my lead acid 200B batteries. Will want to go with Sub C's, I have two good 200B packs, I will want two sets of cells, plus two more for spares. And a good matching charger, maybe two. It would be great if some links would be posted, I don't want to get the wrong things. I don't have a welder for battery tabs, should I get one, or is there another option?

This will get my P&F Hasselblad Ringlight firing up again. New York City Flash Clinic modified it for me back in the day to work with 200B. They were kind of famous they really did a lot of these. A great combination
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Purchase sub C nicad batteries with tabs welded on. This allows soldering to the tabs and not soldering to the battery which which will damage the battery seals. Rebuilt battery pack can be wrapped with shrink tube or vinyl tape..

This is what the OEM norman 200B battery pack looks like inside and how it is connected:

Name:	Norman 200B.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	234754

Name:	Norman 200B battery connector.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	234755

Name:	Norman 200B_battery pack connections.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	234756

It is a very old style nicad charger using pulsed current to charge the battery. It has a thermal switch to shut off the pulsed current used to charge the battery in rapid charge mode. In slow mode the charge produces moderate pulse current and does not completely rely on the thermal switch to shut off the charge current.

Follow the wiring connection, check for proper battery connections at the connector before connecting the rebuilt battery pack to the 200B.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I need a bit of help, I want to rebuild my lead acid 200B batteries. Will want to go with Sub C's, I have two good 200B packs, I will want two sets of cells, plus two more for spares. And a good matching charger, maybe two. It would be great if some links would be posted, I don't want to get the wrong things. I don't have a welder for battery tabs, should I get one, or is there another option?

This will get my P&F Hasselblad Ringlight firing up again. New York City Flash Clinic modified it for me back in the day to work with 200B. They were kind of famous they really did a lot of these. A great combination

Perfect. Thank You Bernice
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain