Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Used Norman 200b

Re: Used Norman 200b

With all the 200B talk, decided to dig out the 200B that was in storage. Not been used in many years. Battery is beyond knackered. The adhesive used to hold the battery pack together failed allowing the BP to come apart easy. Clipped off the long gone ni-cad battery, connected those battery wires to a 12V battery. The 200B screamed right up, powered up, ready neon bulb flashing. Flash triggered good on all three power settings. Let the 200B run for a while since it has not been on for so long.

No only are these 200B portable flash units reliable they are built with high quality US of A industry methods from years gone by.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norman 200B.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	212603

Turns out the battery has ten 1/2 size "D" ni-cads making about 12VDC. This size ni-cad from that era would have about 2 amp.hour capacity.

The battery connections are as follows:

*Socket# 1 = Red wire, Battery positive (+).

*Socket# 2 = Black wire, Battery negative (-).

*Socket# 3 = Gray wire, Thermo switch welded to the battery's negative terminal along with the battery negative wire to the connector.

Name:	Norman 200B battery connector.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	212605

Name:	Norman 200B_battery pack connections.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	212604

Knowing this is a good working Norman 200B, might consider using it to make some images. Stuff like "paint with light" in a dark interior, flashing the interior with the 200B exposing the film in specific areas with each flash.. or ???

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    But how are you recharging them??? Old charger, updated old charger, new external charger??? Steve K
    SteveL,

I will look for my 200B charger. It is a modern unit, as I said I bought it assembled on Ebay. I am sure it is still available as are new lead acids.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Norman 200b Fresh Batteries by Nokton48, on Flickr

Homemade Norman 200B Charger 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Homemade Norman 200B Charger 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Homemade Norman 200B Charger 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I thought this was really clever. This is totally homemade, but very professional and fully functional. Cheap New parts are available to revive these venerable 200 watt second portable units. Lots of bang for the buck. The range of reflectors is truly impressive. The TELEPHOTO reflector is awesome. It adds a lot of light to distant shooting by concentrating the light and adding two stops in pop as I recall.

― Mark Twain

What I would like to make myself, is a clip-on battery tester for the lead acid 200B batteries. So I could determine their level of charge. New York City Flash Clinic was making really nice ones they told me for around $50. Sadly they are gone

Anybody here understand the electronics I would need to do this?

― Mark Twain

Get a reasonable 3.5 digit digital volt meter. These can be had for not a lot these days ($10-$20). Check the battery voltage with the DVM. Fully charged "12Volt" lead acid battery will read about 13.2 to 13.5 volts.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    What I would like to make myself, is a clip-on battery tester for the lead acid 200B batteries. So I could determine their level of charge. New York City Flash Clinic was making really nice ones they told me for around $50. Sadly they are gone

Anybody here understand the electronics I would need to do this?

Yea, the battery will show a drop in voltage from its 13.5v fully charged state during use, but will drop to a lower voltage, until it reaches a threshold where device won't operate... That's your operating range...

I'd be tempted to drill a couple of holes into the pack housing to put banana jack sockets for a charging port + measuring port...

Steve K

Hi, managed to get hands on this unit... Still need to test, but don't have a battery or power supply handy to test it yet (in deep storage)... No expectations for the old batteries, but will order the gel/acid battery ASAP... No dents or burns in connectors or PCB's, and the units were VERY reliable, and flash tube intact, so let's see what it does!!!

Also came with LH3B lamphead... Never used one, but seems useful with automatic setting... Any experience out there? Only used the old sci-fi looking LH2 (and might be looking for one, folks)...

Daniel, what was name/# of the telephoto reflector??? Useful bit!!!

Thanks for bringing "light" into my life!!!

On cupid-is-stupid day, don't get stung... ;-)

Steve K

Norman 200B Telephoto Reflector by Nokton48, on Flickr

The Norman 200b Telephoto Reflector. Very shiny and parabolic. Concentrates the light increases guide number a decent amount

Has Norman logo but no other markings. I would think Norman catalogs have to be on the internet. Anybody??

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Norman 200B Telephoto Reflector by Nokton48, on Flickr

The Norman 200b Telephoto Reflector. Very shiny and parabolic. Concentrates the light increases guide number a decent amount

Has Norman logo but no other markings. I would think Norman catalogs have to be on the internet. Anybody??
    Kool!!!!!!!!

Steve K

Heh.. Got one of those "wok" Norman 200B series reflectors too. Norman made a series of reflectors and add on for the 200B series like the flash bulb riser to widen the angle of light. This would be the widget at the lower RH corner of this pix.

Name:	Norman 200B, tele reflector.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	212688

Rear of this reflector has nothing other than a Norman sticker.

Name:	Norman 200B, tele reflector back.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	212689

Norman 200B "soft" diffusion reflector.

Name:	Norman 200B, diffusion reflector.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	212690

Bernice