Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Used Norman 200b

Re: Used Norman 200b

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Heh.. Got one of those "wok" Norman 200B series reflectors too. Norman made a series of reflectors and add on for the 200B series like the flash bulb riser to widen the angle of light. This would be the widget at the lower RH corner of this pix.
    Attachment 212688

Rear of this reflector has nothing other than a Norman sticker.
    Attachment 212689

Norman 200B "soft" diffusion reflector.
    Attachment 212690

Bernice
    Good to know about the "riser" widget, gotta find one, and the other reflectors... I figure one can make a diffusion reflector out of old reflector, can of flat white paint, and some Tupperware lid...

Thanks!!!

Steve K

Daniel, the 200B instruction manuals I have seen online have a listing of the accessories for this flash at the end...

But there might be more stuff over the time they were producing...

Also, followed the link you provided about the new batteries, but didn't find price or sales info on their pages... Are they a distributor, or do they do direct sales, or did you use a dealer???

Thanks,

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 15-Feb-2021 at 00:58.

I used an internet dealer and was lucky to find the exact same battery as I bought assembled from the ebay dealer who was making these ready to go over a decade ago.

I just did an internet search, I found this one that looks very similar. It's BB BP2.3-12, 12V and 2.3ah as are my batteries, maybe this will work?

https://www.osibatteries.com/replace...SABEgIPtPD_BwE
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Norman Homemade Diffuser and Model Light Head by Nokton48, on Flickr

Left that is a homemade diffuser which was ugly the adhesive was a mess. I cleaned it up and reglued it with aquarium cement.

On the right is the modeling light head with a fresh new bulb ESP JCV120V-150WGB2 just replaced. I'll finish the power cord for this one.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 16-Feb-2021 at 05:45.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

More Koolness!!! You have been busy working on these...

Thanks for tracking down that battery #... That should work, and great you did the footwork!!!

Now I have to get my ducks-in-a-row to fire mine up... A charged battery, some connections, and a stormy night flying kites in the lightning... ;-)

And I should bring unit sometime to Holly or other strobe Dr. to give it a once over for safety or reliability upgrade advice...

Thanks again, folks!!!

Steve K

Given there has been about zero market interest in these once extremely useful and reliable portable strobe units..
    Decided to fix it up. First step, replace all the flash capacitors that were made in 1979.

These are new 560uF at 500 Volt electrolytic capacitors that are being formed to assure they are going to be ok prior to installation into the 200B.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	560uf, 500V capacitor forming, Norman 200B.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	216947

Follow up as this process proceeds.

Yes, a bit bored.
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Given there has been about zero market interest in these once extremely useful and reliable portable strobe units..
    Decided to fix it up. First step, replace all the flash capacitors that were made in 1979.

These are new 560uF at 500 Volt electrolytic capacitors that are being formed to assure they are going to be ok prior to installation into the 200B.

Name:	560uf, 500V capacitor forming, Norman 200B.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	216947

Follow up as this process proceeds.

Yes, a bit bored.
    Bernice
    Great!!! Long may it run!!!

Got mine working and it seems to be behaving well!!! Still have to go through a working testing phase, but did a test with the 4X5 shooting... Lamp head was about 6' away from subject direct/EI 100 and flash meter read f32 @200ws!!! Plenty of light, but still have to do bounce/umbrella test for fill light... Recycles almost instantly... Was going to test with DSLR, but noticed camera does not have PC jack, so need a hot shoe adapter... Digital should give me instant access to distant results I want to try with this flash...

Mine seems to be newer, as I found some stickers inside with 2/01, so that might be a date of manufacture... The first battery I ordered was defective, so had trouble firing it up, but when replaced, worked fine... Also found there is a 2.9ah gel cell battery that will fit, instead of the common 2.2ah, so will get one next time... Found many accessories usable with this strobe before purchase, so strobe seems ment to be for me... Good flashcords, largish camera bag rig fits into, flash spotmeter, umbrellas, + more... And even a quality car battery smart charger with a gel cell mode like new/cheeeap... And a Nikon SB-11 potato masher working/cheap for a second light...So now have a system...

Might start doing environmental portraits on the side with it, but still waiting to hear about my job coming back, so will see what happens...

Have fun with the mad scientist project!!! (Fly the kites, Igor!!!) ;-)

Steve K

The old 200B flash capacitors are dated mid 1976 and need to rest and "retire" from service. These capacitors measure about half their marked capacitance value. They cannot produce the spec flash light output and they are leaking to boot.

Name:	Norman 200B old caps.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	217020

New flash capacitors installed after then have been reformed to assure being in good condition. Capacitance value went up from 400uF at 500volts to 560uF at 500 volts. The original 200B flash capacitor spec calculates to 50watt/seconds per capacitor with a total of 200watt/seconds. Increasing the capacitance to 560uF at 500volts calculates to 70watt/seconds with a total of 280watt seconds or the spec limit of the FT120 flash tube.

Name:	Norman 200B, new caps.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	217021

They ~just squish in~

Name:	Norman 200B, new caps in.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	217022

All done.

Name:	Norman 200B, Installed & old caps.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	217023

Tested ok with the LH2 lamp head and standard reflector produces f16.5 at 10 ft.

Next up, new batteries.

Bernice

I haven't pulled the top deck off the internal pack yet to access this area, but have to at some point, as the foam covered transformer (?) is shedding badly, so need to remove/re-secure it... Your project is inspiring me to consider re-capping at some point...

Had a longish phone chat with Brett at Holly Enterprises, who guided me along the process (very knowledgeable!!!), and he mentioned an important check is feeling how hot the mounted transistors at the bottom... If they are very hot operating, this means other components are in a near runaway condition and very bad for the unit's health... Also, near the top on board are two trimmers, where one when re-adjusted will lower the sync voltage from about 100v to about 30v, making it safer to use with a digital camera sync... (Stick a pair of voltmeter leads into sync plug to measure DC volts)...

Like mentioned, maybe will recap sometime... I routinely service much older tube audio and test gear, so know the re-forming sequence... Didn't initally reform these, just powered them up for a long time, then flashing once, then a long idle... I prefer a week long ramp-up using different current limiting resistors, variac, HV transformer, bridge, and VOM'S on resistors to monitor, but this unit appeared newer, and wasn't sure it would work at all, so just gave it a shot...

On new batteries, found that even charged ones benefit from an initial 24 hr float charge to break-in... As mentioned, there is a 2.9ah (I think PowerSonic brand) that fits... Brett rebuilds ni-cad packs and says those give the most flashes, but my history with ni-cads is I do everything right, keep 'em charged, discharge them before charging, and still die early deaths, so I don't have the karma with them... The gel cells are fine for me... For charger, found a Noco G3500 smart charger (with gel cell mode) newish at a thrift, and love using it for car and gel charging... New battery harness was as simple as snipping old harness out of old battery pack and attaching insulated female spade terminals to connect directly to battery terminals (from auto store)... Save the remains of the old battery pack in case you want to rebuild it someday...

Carry on!!!

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 27-Jun-2021 at 14:43.

Will need to call Bert at Holly to chat about these 200Bs.

I'll re-thermo goo the power transistors as the thermal gooo has likely dried out by now.

There are two trimmers in the top board, remember which of the two trimmers adjust the sync voltage?

Reforming old caps does not do if the caps have aged, dried and died. For caps this old, replace them is the proper choice.

Ordered up some 4 amp-hour ni-mh portable power tool sub C cells, stack of ten fits into the battery space. The ni-mh battery chemistry makes them agreeable with the standard 200B battery charger. This is the next project. Once all done, I'll need to come up with a Foto project for this 200B.

Bernice