Thread: Print Washers, again. Interested in the 'tray type'.

Eric Woodbury

Print Washers, again. Interested in the 'tray type'.

I'm not sure what it is I want. Something simple. I have a fancy vertical washer for 11 x 14, but it is a pain. My tray siphon is on the fritz and I don't trust. I usually print a dozen 8x10s. One of those trays with extra plumbing is probably fine. I like that Arkay stainless steel tray with the jets, but it is expensive and large.

Do any of you use these plumbed trays as your final wash and what is your experience?

Thank you all. -E-

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Print Washers, again. Interested in the 'tray type'.

It's probably not the kind of plumbed tray you're considering, but I used to use a Kostiner flat tray washer. It has little jets all around and is a bit over 16x20 inside. There's no way to separate prints and they tend to move around, partially covering one another and perhaps affecting washing efficiency.

I still use the Kostiner when I (rarely) print 16x20 because it uses less water than my 16x20 vertical slot washer and I work slowly enough that there's only ever one print at a time in it. But for 11x14 I now use an Arkay stainless vertical slot washer. It has more capacity even though I only use every other slot in the basket.

I've been using this Paterson washer for a few years now, replacing a Kodak tray siphon and 16x20 tray.
    Dividers separate four 5x7, two 8x10 or one large print up to 12x16. If I'm only washing a few FB prints and don't want to use the big deep print washer, this works great. Also works for RC prints since the wash times are short. Water flows evenly over the surface of the prints and drains at the other end. I can set the water at a fairly low flow rate, but washing still seems efficient.

Eric Woodbury

Jim, what are the posts in the tray?
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

They're the removable dividers that keep the prints separated.

I have used the flow/tray types, but hard to get a smooth bubble free flow (that starts the top prints breaking the surface)...

Slower, more hands on is the two tray method... You put prints in first tray back to back, belly to belly in water, wait about 5 minutes, then one by one, lift and drain well the single print well, and transfer the stack to 2nd tray... Repeat in 5 minutes etc, until at least a few to ten transfers (full museum archival at ten...

No flow, saves water...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I'm not sure what it is I want. Something simple. I have a fancy vertical washer for 11 x 14, but it is a pain. My tray siphon is on the fritz and I don't trust. I usually print a dozen 8x10s.
    Thank you all. -E-
    So I put those dozen or so 8x10 in my Zone VI archival washer.

Amazing that washer is still sold at the link

I have a much older black one

Quote Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
    I've been using this Paterson washer for a few years now, replacing a Kodak tray siphon and 16x20 tray.
    Dividers separate four 5x7, two 8x10 or one large print up to 12x16. If I'm only washing a few FB prints and don't want to use the big deep print washer, this works great. Also works for RC prints since the wash times are short. Water flows evenly over the surface of the prints and drains at the other end. I can set the water at a fairly low flow rate, but washing still seems efficient.
    Tin Can