Thread: Hello from a beginner

Hello from a beginner

Hi everyone from Ontario Canada! I am new to large format photography and am just putting together my kit ( so far just a 4x5 Intrepid). I have 35mm and digital experience but am looking to slow things down and be more conscious of my decision making. Really looking forward to learning/contributing to the forum and making some new friends. Now I am off to spend what little money I have on some lens

Ray Van Nes

Re: Hello from a beginner

Welcome from Calgary. Should be able to find a basic lens for not too much money. Possibly start with a more modern one as it is most likely to in working order. The great thing about mechanical shutters is that they can be cleaned and serviced. My oldest is from 1914 , works great.

Welcome aboard. You've probably noticed the wealth of useful information on the LF home page and previous discussion threads. There's a lot here to guide recent beginners like us. Enjoy!

[QUOTE= looking to slow things down and be more conscious of my decision making. [/QUOTE]

Good choice. Large format photography helps to train and improve our "executive function" balancing the two counterproductive urges we all have to one degree or another, to act without thinking or think without acting.

Hello Jonnyk, Hello back to you from Surprise, AZ, USA. I too am new to this Forum, although pretty old to large format photography. I did commercial work in the days of film with several Sinar cameras. As others have explained, the F, C, and P cameras are the names in the Sinar family. I have a 4x5 P2 and an 8x10 P2. The "2" after the P designates that very finesse rocking swings and tilt that move from a point just below center of the film plane are on both the front and back of the camera. This allows for corrections without such severe movement as on the F model, which rocks forward and back from the bottom of the film plane. I also have the Sinar F 4x5, which is a much lighter camera for location shooting, since it does not have all the fancy hardware on the back standard of a P camera and the front and back standards of the P2 version. I have not been keeping up since I retired, but I would like to find out how much film is still being used out there today. This forum is giving me a glimpse that folks are working even with 20x24 film. I do not know my way around this web site yet, but I am learning that there must still be labs and processing going on. This forum is making me a little sad in that I miss all the time behind the camera. Good luck and have a lot of fun with your new ventures!

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and keep us updated on your search for a first lens. Always exciting.

A 135mm or 150mm might be a good choice for affording & learning on your Intrepid 4x5 – then go wider or longer after some experience suggests your inclinations.

I started with a 150mm g-claron then got a 110mm and 240mm.

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Welcome! New still too. Began with Intrepid...or so I thought. While awaiting delivery, got a Crown Graphic for hand held. Love both. Intrepid is a well-constructed and fully functional camera for the money. The number of folks lured into LF by Intrepid is pretty big I reckon. What fun!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyk View Post
    Hi everyone from Ontario Canada! I am new to large format photography and am just putting together my kit ( so far just a 4x5 Intrepid). I have 35mm and digital experience but am looking to slow things down and be more conscious of my decision making. Really looking forward to learning/contributing to the forum and making some new friends. Now I am off to spend what little money I have on some lens
    welcome, slow is good.