Thread: Sequoia & Kings Canyon starting to issue wilderness permits

Sequoia & Kings Canyon starting to issue wilderness permits

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Re: Sequoia & Kings Canyon starting to issue wilderness permits

Thanks, John. Hmmm - that picture of the Sphinx on their website reminds me of looking at it during a windy rainstorm from the same spot a couple summers back on my last day coming back down from the high country; same snow ribbons in the gullies. Think I'll plan for hiking completely outside NP's this summer, hopefully where there will be no smoke like last year.

Just got pics yesterday from my nephew and his wife of the fresh snowfall in Yos Valley. They live quite close to it. But as I understand it, still no overnight stays in the Park; just day entry and use.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Just got back from the Pfizer 2d vaccine dose at the local VA hospital. As I was leaving a politician from Groveland pulled up and said that the pandemic had closed 1/2 of the businesses in Groveland permanently and had had no idea when the park would lift the day pass restriction. Groveland, along other communities along SR 120 such as Oakhurst, are heavily dependent on the tourists trade which has been practically zero this year. The Iron Door Saloon, however, is still there and in business.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Groveland is outside of Yosemite, not SEKI. It was already terribly affected by huge forest fires even before the virus issue. And Oakhurst (the lower end of Hwy 41, and not on 120) has always been dicey in terms of tourist income, unless you're talking about a gas station or McDonald's franchise, or local grocery market. Lots of businesses have inevitably failed all through the years; and much of the population relies on commuting to Fresno for jobs. Most jobs in that part of the world pay miserably, and forest fires are an ever-worsening catastrophic risk. Nearly the whole area has been leveled by fire twice in the past, and had a close call again last year. But tourist income, especially things like restaurants and galleries, is crippled almost everywhere, of the 50% or so of small businesses that might have survived the pandemic economic hit so far. Glad I didn't dig into my nest egg to buy a gallery location somewhere, though real estate might be a bargain certain places now - if you can even get affordable fire insurance anywhere in the Sierras! Premiums have skyrocketed.

SEKI (Sequoia-Kings NP's) has a minimum of tourist businesses along either entrance route. There are numerous sizable cities in the valley floor below, but little in direct proximity except official concessions within Grant Grove and Cedar Grove, which have nothing to worry about business-wise.

I'm due for my first covid shot tomorrow. But since I already had a mild case of the virus back around Christmas time, even one shot allegedly will give me serious protection. I'll receive both, of course. What is really pinning me down, however, is a lingering case of bad bursitis in one shoulder. I'm getting in some good day hikes, but only with lightweight MF gear so far. Hopefully, I'll be able to begin training with heavier packs in a month or so, early enough to get me back in shape for summer backpacking. But I'm tempted to go in skeeter season, June or July, since it looks like potentially another bad fire season this year later in summer.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 26-Feb-2021 at 17:02.