Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Log live 8x10 Large format

Log live 8x10 Large format

Hello everyone,

As active user of MF 6x7 I just decided to switch to 8x10 and looking forward to buy chinese Chamonix as a starting point.
    But it's still expensive for me.. And I am still in doubt.. Don't wann just to waste my money.
    I am thinking about to sell this camera back on ebay in case if large format is not my thing..

These 8x10 sheets are not that cheap. That's fine.
    But how long still Kodak/Ilford/etc would still produce these 8x10 sheets?
    What you guys think?
    What if suddenly they stop producing it and my 5k euro camera will turn into bunch of useless crap...

As well as my 5k Mamiya 7 II kit... But that's what I don't want to think about at all yet

Re: Log live 8x10 Large format

All this gear is more valuable than it has been in several years. Selling it as needs change is common. Many people buy stuff to try then sell it, basically stewards/borrowers and their payment is collateral.
    You've got Kodak, Ilford, Foma all making film. You can also shoot paper, dry plates, wet plates.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    All this gear is more valuable than it has been in several years. Selling it as needs change is common. Many people buy stuff to try then sell it, basically stewards/borrowers and their payment is collateral.
    You've got Kodak, Ilford, Foma all making film. You can also shoot paper, dry plates, wet plates.
    thanks! had no idea that it's possible to shoot on paper that makes sense
    https://slowj.photo

Log live 8x10 Large format

I don’t think you have to worry for the foreseeable future.

I would worry more about the fact that taking the plunge for a camera is just the start.... then there’s lenses, film, light meters, film holders, chemicals, etc now add that fresnel, changing bag, loupe, dark cloth, backpack, filters, tripods, head, etc :-)

Some people encourage starting with 4x5 then making the progression. I think if you’re quite sure you want this, go for 8x10 and don’t sink more money. You can sell everything out for almost what you bought it from unless you buy at unreasonable prices (and some times you’ll see crazy prices for lenses... that don’t sell.... always do your research).

There’s also cheaper alternatives to a Chamonix btw (which is a great camera) particularly to start — new ones like intrepid, and other used brands/models out there.

You can have Chamonix make you a 4x5 or 5x7 back for the 8x10 too. It all adds up but then you have options for enlarging vs contact printing. good luck.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    You can have Chamonix make you a 4x5 or 5x7 back for the 8x10 too. It all adds up but then you have options for enlarging vs contact printing. good luck.
    Or for the same price as a new back you could get a used 4x5 camera!

I wouldn't worry about the future of 8x10 film. IMO, it will be around for a long time to come. And, as others have said you have other options, too, plus you could coat your own glass plates and/or do wet plate. I doubt your 8x10 will be left sitting on a shelf.

Drew Wiley

Just the slower more contemplative methodology of 8x10 means you'll being using less film, at least after you've become comfortable with the bigger system. For me, it comes out about the same cost-wise. With my 6x7 Pentax or 6x9 rangefinders, the more spontaneous nature of shooting means I might expend a whole roll of 120 film during the same kind of weekly outing where I might take only one select shot with the 8x10 instead. I'm speaking of black and white work. In color, 8X10 film is indeed getting quite expensive. Otherwise, that Chamonix 8x10 is especially well made and portable - recommended. It's not what I use; but I have the older Phillips 8X10 camera which inspired Chamonix's own design.

8x10 XRAY film (Fuji 8x10" HRU is dirt cheap and plentiful online) is another option. Will make nice contact prints. Twenty eight cents a sheet
    Today three 18x24cm Sinar Norma Lisco holders arrived from Germany. These will hold 18x24cm Kodak Mammography film, going into my 8x10 Sinar Norma

XRAY is a good way to learn large format handling and procedures.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the future of 8x10 film. IMO, it will be around for a long time to come. And, as others have said you have other options, too, plus you could coat your own glass plates and/or do wet plate. I doubt your 8x10 will be left sitting on a shelf.
    Or coat your own film.