Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane Dry Plates: What is a practical ISO rating?

Lane Dry Plates: What is a practical ISO rating?

I bought a box of 4x5 dry plates by Lane. I rated and exposed them per the label at ISO 2. Sent them off to Blue Moon for processing. They are significantly under exposed, some showing no discernable image while most have an image only suitable for scanning as a negative with enhancement in photoshop.

I am ok with this as this is my first use of glass plates of any sort and my first use of materials from Lane. This post is not intended to be a complaint.

My question is: What is a reasonable ISO rating for these materials if the intended use is to create Ambrotype style images to be viewed by reflected light? I am now guessing something like 1.0 or 0.5.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Lane Dry Plates: What is a practicval ISO rating?

The color of your light matters
    Tin Can

There is a chart somewhere on Jason's website that shows estimated ISO for various months of the year, etc. Out here in the desert southwest, I lean toward ASA 2 during summer months and in the middle-o-day timeframes, and around ASA 0.5 this time of year. I believe the temperature of the light--early morning, late afternoon into early evening--affects the ISO rating, too. It's pretty much guess work, really. All that said, I lean my guesses toward more rather than less exposure.

Tin Can

Re: Lane Dry Plates: What is a practical ISO rating?

I also had some issues with underexposure on my first batch of plates, just a matter of getting used to the different sensitivity from film.
    I asked Jason about reciprocity factor for long exposures, and this was his advice:
    "My rule of thumb is to add about 50% time above 45 seconds, and then double above 2 minutes".

So far this has worked well and I'm learning to adjust to the different sensitivity of the plates.

Thanks for that everyone. I will adjust.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I've only shot a few of these but for what it's worth, rating at an ISO of 2, my first test plate was exposed using a 18% gray patch on my color char. That one came out with some dense highlights but still usable and quite nice. The second I metered, also at ISO 2, in the shadows of a building. The meter read 1/30 but I used 1/20 (as that was the closest, rounding down, shutter speed on my Velostigmat 6"). This resulted in a thinner but still very usable negative.

My third test is to use a blue filter in front of the meter and see what that gives me. I'm just worried the filter might require a filter-factor correction so not sure if I should use that over the lens as well.

Final test is to play maybe play with some strobes.

Not sure if that is helpful or not but thought I'd share just the same!

Of note, I developed the plates myself using HC-110 B per J Lane's recommendations. Tried and true but I would like to experiment with some other developers, notably Adox XT-3, Eco-Pro, Mytol (basically the Vitamin-C Xtol-like developers).

If you experiment with different developers, you can develop by inspection under safelight. Don’t pull the plate until it looks *too* dark under safelight.

I’ve had some luck with a blue 47 filter in front of the meter and using the exposure I get when setting the meter to ISO 8 (it’s not really ISO 8 of course, but compensates for filter factor).
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    If you experiment with different developers, you can develop by inspection under safelight. Don’t pull the plate until it looks *too* dark under safelight.

I’ve had some luck with a blue 47 filter in front of the meter and using the exposure I get when setting the meter to ISO 8 (it’s not really ISO 8 of course, but compensates for filter factor).
    Yeah sage advice as I pulled the last sheet a bit too early I think. Although at least the scan looks just gorgeous and I think it should be printable in the darkroom. Also just to be sure, the ISO 8 is for the ISO 25 plates I assume? If I did my math right, that'd be 1.5 stops?

No that’s for the ASA 2 plates.

Blue 47 filter blocks (approximately) the wavelengths the emulsion doesn’t see, but also chops down the throughput in the wavelengths the emulsion does see, so you adjust your meter two stops up to compensate (remember, ISO setting on the meter is just an electronic gain adjust for the read circuit).

When metering thru a blue 47 filter with J Lane Speed Plates, you’d set ISO rating to 100 and use the reported exposure.

Another way to think of it is...If you don’t compensate +2 stops, then metering through a blue 47 filter will result in +2 stop overexposure.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com