Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film changing tent

Film changing tent

I’m going on an extended road trip in our camper trailer. Looking into changing tents..any opinions on the Photoflex, or the ones sold on eBay ? The Harrison’s are beyond my budget.
    Thanks for any suggestions/reviews...
    Gary P
    Gary Pikarsky

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Film changing tent

I have heard that the Photoflex tents are adequate for up to 4x5 but have not used them.

I have an inexpensive changing tent that I have used for years. Before using it I put an open cardboard box inside to expand it to size. I plan to make a collapsible frame from pvc pipe to replace the box in the future.

If it's an extended trip, you're gonna hate every minute you have to spend using a Photoflex tent.
    Spend a little more, don't risk light leaks and scratches from using smaller or cheaper tents.
    Your film should be worth it. Get a Harrison.

I picked up one of the versions that is sold on eBay from a person who was selling off all of his gear. I got it for $35. It is the larger version for 8x10. It is honestly of excellent quality, with the exception of the aluminum poles that it came with. They are as weak and flimsy as you can possibly imagine, and after setting it up once I knew they were the weak point and would for sure break at the worst possible time.

I ordered a set of custom tent pole replacements (fiberglass) from a shop called Tent Pole Technologies (very reasonable prices and incredible quality). My experience with the eBay tent has been nothing but positive.

Fuji Dark Box FDB12, can't recommend it enough.

I have used a Harris tent for years for both 4x5 and 8x10. Seems to work well for me. I have also used a no-ame changing bag. This is more difficult to use in some ways, but it has worked well enough for changing 4x5 holders in my lap while driving to another location (I was in the passenger seat of course!).
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

PhotoFlex isn't terrible. I prefer it to a bag, but the complaints I have are:

* When folded up for any amount of time, it develops a strong chemical odor.
    * the arm holes could be slightly more forward-- the angle is slightly awkward. For a smaller person, it might be uncomfortable.
    * the room inside is fine for 4x5 unless you're using a grafmatic-- fully extended, the working room is slightly cramped.

As a light-tight "box" for handling film safely, it's worked fine.

Thanks for all the replies...I’m going to test some darkroom black out material on our camper bathroom window and door before the trip and hopefully that will work to block out and light...also do the loading/unloading at night.....if not, I will see about getting one of the tents .
    Gary P
    Gary Pikarsky

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gphoto120 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies...I’m going to test some darkroom black out material on our camper bathroom window and door before the trip and hopefully that will work to block out and light...also do the loading/unloading at night.....if not, I will see about getting one of the tents .
    Gary P
    Stearman Press has instructions for a Dark Box. Also, YouTube videos.
    https://www.stearmanpress.com/dark_box.html

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

My experience with blacking out windows and doors is less than satisfactory. I had difficulty in effectively creating a suitable dark space in a closet at our home. It can be done of course . . .it is done. I just found that the juice wasn't worth the squeez and bought a tent.

Changing bags and tents work for changing film while on the road. Comfort and convenience are secondary details to work around or endure. For years I had access to a medical X-Ray darkroom. Nothing is as prefect as working in a dedicated changing space in a purpose built dark room. If you will be working from an RV, I would strongly recommend that you use a changing bag or tent of one sort or another. Discomfort or inconvenience are trumped by the security of working in repeatable total darkness.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 10-Feb-2021 at 05:35.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!