Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is shooting 20x24 film nowadays?

Who is shooting 20x24 film nowadays?

I am searching for contemporary 20x24 film photographers. I have found very few. Who is shooting 20x24 film now?

Re: Who is shooting 20x24 film nowadays?

some prefer privacy
    Tin Can

I guess bur some would like to display their efforts. I ask because I am seriously considering purchasing a 20x24 and need their advice. SO please do not hijack this thread with your wanting to stifle my question with the first response,

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    some prefer privacy
    So you want to stifle my search? You are not friendly. I ask you to please not highjack my question.

IIRC our own Monty McCutchen shoots as large as 20x24, though not sure how much of that is film vs wet plate. Why not ask him?

EDIT: A Google search on "largeformatphotography.info/forum 20x24" will pick up threads here where that size has come up.

not a hijack, a suggestion

you are making orders

no thread is private

maybe I am shooting 20 X 24...

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    So you want to stifle my search? You are not friendly. I ask you to please not highjack my question.
    Tin Can

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    I am searching for contemporary 20x24 film photographers. I have found very few. Who is shooting 20x24 film now?
    Tracy Storer on this forum shoots 20x24.

Zebra

As Oren kindly states I shoot 20 x 24. I shoot equal parts film for pt/pd, pt/pd gumovers and wet plate collodion (alumitypes and ambrotypes and the occasional glass negative). I’m a quiet but consistent 20 x24 evangelical. I love the format. Love everything about it. The difficulty. The cumbersome hassle. The overcoming. The lack of logic. The uselessness of it all. But they are my windmills I’m chasing and a person needs something useless in their life that is theirs and theirs alone to chase—outcome guaranteed or not. There are plenty of reasons not to do 20 x 24–ignore them and jump in if you have the desire. The ground glass is a world to get lost in that invites magical visits. Process gains equal footing to product with the 20 x 24 format. Portraits become true collaborations with your sitter as they become connected to the event and to their role in the outcome. Still Life’s take on the attributes of intimate landscapes, landscapes an entry into other worlds. You have to turn yourself over to the format which allows for a certain feeling of lost time but when you get in a rhythm the results are truly sublime. I say go for it detractors be damned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0122.jpg   35F17226-EFFC-40F4-BFD8-A9E1AB1E4356.jpg   Counti2024 # 2.jpg  

Zebra

I’d be happy to answer specific questions here or off line if you prefer.

The only 20x24 I have ever shot was with a pinhole camera in a studio setting. But at one time I was shooting 14x17 and 11x14. Big difference I found was that with the 14x17, I pretty much (if not all the time) only shot from the side of my VW Van. Also the 14x17 required using 2 tripods. Main tripod (large Ries or Linhof HD) under the camera's body and a second lighter one essentially under the lens (Goerz Double Anastigmat). I'm sure it would have been the same if I were shooting with a 20x24. With the 11x14 I wasn't confined from shooting essentially by the side of the van. Also got away with using only one tripod under the 11x14. During one summer this translated into producing dozens of 11x14 negatives rather than only I think it was 3 14x17s. Finally just sold the 14x17 outfit. Would be informative to view videos of photographers shooting 20x24 on YouTube before acquiring a 20x24.