Thread: Coverage of Repro-Clarons vs G-Clarons

Coverage of Repro-Clarons vs G-Clarons

Based on multiple posts and personal experience, I think that we all can agree that the coverage specs that Schneider published for their G-Clarons was very conservative to say the least. This has been my experience with my 210mm and 355mm G-Clarons. But what about Schneider Repro-Clarons? My only experience with using a Repro-Claron was in the 1980s, when I used a 210mm Repro-Claron to shoot 4x5 chromes. Never ran out of coverage with that lens but never remember making any more than minimal movements. In most cases I was shooting art work and historical documents straight on. Still have those 4x5 Chromes and a few that I also shot with a 210mm Symmar (not a S, Super HM, or an APO), and the 4x5s shot with the Repro-Claron are noticeably superior. Side note: the Repro-Claron was in mint condition, and the Symmar was a very, very used optic... not sure if that was a factor.

FORUM members' experiences with using Repro-Clarons?

thanks

Re: Coverage of Repro-Clarons vs G-Clarons

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Based on multiple posts and personal experience, I think that we all can agree that the coverage specs that Schneider published for their G-Clarons was very conservative to say the least. This has been my experience with my 210mm and 355mm G-Clarons. But what about Schneider Repro-Clarons? My only experience with using a Repro-Claron was in the 1980s, when I used a 210mm Repro-Claron to shoot 4x5 chromes. Never ran out of coverage with that lens but never remember making any more than minimal movements. In most cases I was shooting art work and historical documents straight on. Still have those 4x5 Chromes and a few that I also shot with a 210mm Symmar (not a S, Super HM, or an APO), and the 4x5s shot with the Repro-Claron are noticeably superior. Side note: the Repro-Claron was in mint condition, and the Symmar was a very, very used optic... not sure if that was a factor.

FORUM members' experiences with using Repro-Clarons?

thanks
    I have both Repro Clarons and G-Clarons and have tested them against each other. The Repro-Claron is a Dialyte-style 4/4 lens similar to a Red Dot Artar or Kodak 203/7.7 Ektar, with coverage in the 46- 48 degree range.

The early G-Clarons were Dagor-style lenses while the later G-Clarons are Plasmats, realistically with about 70 degree coverage. I also have both a Dagor-style G-Claron as well as later Plasmat patters. I find my Plasmat-style G-Clarons to be superior. G-Clarons definitely have better coverage than a Repro-Claron, but Dialyte-style lenses like the Repro-Clarons tend to be very sharp, useful lenses, especially when properly coated.

My 210 R claron covers 5x7 with some room to spare. The 305 is one of my favorite 5x7 lenses. I also use the 355 and 420 front mounted on a Copal 2 shutter.
    Last edited by Kevin Crisp; 7-Feb-2021 at 07:51. Reason: Typing on iPhone 12 mini....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    My 210 R claron covers 5x7 with some room to spare. The 305 is one of my favorite 5x7 lenses. I also is the 355 and 420 front mounted on a Copal 2 shutter.
    +1 about 305/9 Repro-Claron used with compact 5x7 outfits. It's a lot smaller and lighter than the 305/9 G-Claron, which is also very good. But. the 305 G-Claron more than covers 8x10, so that wide coverage could be attractive for many. I have and like both lenses in 305, but the Repro-Claron is the 305 lens in the 5x7 kit carried away from the vehicle.

The 210 R Claron is a fine lens for a lightweight 4x5 kit. They usually come with some browning from the radioactive element, but UV light fixes that. But the 210 G Claron is nice too and covers 8x10 straight on.

I've had my 305 Repro Claron since around 1970 - 1975. I bought it new for my Kardan Bi 5 x 7 which I bought new in 1970. I got a Linhof Symmar 210 with the camera but the Repro Claron became my main lens.