Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting 4x5 panoramic images...looking for forum wisdom

Re: Shooting 4x5 panoramic images...looking for forum wisdom

Yes. Or half a dark slide as the lowest investment.

There’s different solutions depending on how deep is your pocket and how much you’re planning to shot panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Buy a Horseman 6x12 holder, or if you want the spherical look like you get from stitching, consider a Noblex 150.

Some people like stitching, but I can't imagine hoping for it to work while shooting expensive sheets of film. Think about how much money you'll spend on film rather than just buying a more appropriate camera.

BTW, from my Noblex negatives I have printed 10 x 24 inch prints and they look excellent. There is not an argument for higher resolution with the larger film unless you plan on doing massive murals (and you'll need the appropriate scanning ability to get that resolution).
    Personally, I use a NOBLEX PRO 6/150UX with its slow exposure module when I need it. The negatives fit into a custom carrier that I enlarged/machined for my 4x5 Durst enlarger. Largest prints I have made are 24" wide but actually prefer 20" wide prints. Can honestly recommend the camera 100%. Loading it takes practice at first, but becomes second hand soon after. Viewfinder is amazingly very accurate. Handheld possible, have done it, but much prefer using a tripod to carefully compose the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Personally, I use a NOBLEX PRO 6/150UX with its slow exposure module when I need it. The negatives fit into a custom carrier that I enlarged/machined for my 4x5 Durst enlarger. Largest prints I have made are 24" wide but actually prefer 20" wide prints. Can honestly recommend the camera 100%. Loading it takes practice at first, but becomes second hand soon after. Viewfinder is amazingly very accurate. Handheld possible, have done it, but much prefer using a tripod to carefully compose the image.
    A friend has it and raves about it, too. But alas, $1.2-1.4k and yet more gear to haul....

Keep an eye out. I paid $850 for mine.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

You guys SUCK!!!

Just buy more gear....

LOL...

Interesting camera.
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

You can stitch 4x5 shots together for panos with incredible detail. I wanted the cirkut camera look without the hassle and started experimenting. It is more difficult to line shots up because the lens is so far from the rotational axis of the tripod. You have to overlap more than you think. Here is one of my better attempts using 4 or 5 vertical 4x5 sheets with a closeup for detail:

I forgot to mention that I abandoned stitching 4x5s when I got a half frame dark slide for my 11x14.
    I also own a Noblex (Pro 6/150 F)
    If you get a Noblex make sure it has front rise. Mine does not. The lens on mine is so wide that any tilting causes the edges to curve.

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    You can stitch 4x5 shots together for panos with incredible detail. I wanted the cirkut camera look without the hassle and started experimenting. It is more difficult to line shots up because the lens is so far from the rotational axis of the tripod. You have to overlap more than you think. Here is one of my better attempts using 4 or 5 vertical 4x5 sheets with a closeup for detail:

Thank you!!

I just shot a 4x5 pano today of 3 shots. I hope it ends up being equivalent to a 4x10. But in light of your post, I might not have allowed enough overlap. But that's part of the process. And also what I was hoping to learn from this thread.

I will develop the film tomorrow and post the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2995-Pano-1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	212518

Here is my first successful attempt at a 4x5 (three frame) stitch into what is about a 4x10 image. I don't want to talk about the first two attempts!!!

Anyway, this is a quick edit and clean up. I can probably spend a lot more time getting this better. One thing is, I used manual lens correction, and I'm not sure I have this right. But for now...what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2995-Pano-1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	212518

Here is my first successful attempt at a 4x5 (three frame) stitch into what is about a 4x10 image. I don't want to talk about the first two attempts!!!

Anyway, this is a quick edit and clean up. I can probably spend a lot more time getting this better. One thing is, I used manual lens correction, and I'm not sure I have this right. But for now...what do you think?
    Looks pretty good!