Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shooting 4x5 panoramic images...looking for forum wisdom

Re: Shooting 4x5 panoramic images...looking for forum wisdom

I have played around with three of the options mentioned: 1) cut dark slide, 2) splitter in a camera that easily accepts one, 3) hacked up a 4x10 replacement back for an Intrepid.

Of the first two easy approaches, I was happiest with the splitter, as that was easy to use and I found it a bit less annoying than swapping dark slides and I didn't have to permanently change anything. In usage, I like #3 the best, mostly for composition and not having to worry about making sure you're in the sweet spot of the lens, but it takes a bit more work (not all that difficult) and you have to find 4x10 holders from which to base your ground glass distance. If you find those (I picked up some used Mido holders from the FS forum here) then the rest is pretty easy -- it was a weekend's project for me, made from scrap wood, a piece of window glass, and a few small screws and finish nails.

Quick peek here:

IMG_7480, Spring back installed by Robert Brazile, on Flickr

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    I have played around with three of the options mentioned: 1) cut dark slide, 2) splitter in a camera that easily accepts one, 3) hacked up a 4x10 replacement back for an Intrepid.

Of the first two easy approaches, I was happiest with the splitter, as that was easy to use and I found it a bit less annoying than swapping dark slides and I didn't have to permanently change anything. In usage, I like #3 the best, mostly for composition and not having to worry about making sure you're in the sweet spot of the lens, but it takes a bit more work (not all that difficult) and you have to find 4x10 holders from which to base your ground glass distance. If you find those (I picked up some used Mido holders from the FS forum here) then the rest is pretty easy -- it was a weekend's project for me, made from scrap wood, a piece of window glass, and a few small screws and finish nails.

Quick peek here:

Robert
    This is badass!!! I love how you are building solutions. I've got a garage full of tools. They are dusty!!! In fact, I can't even get in there!!! I'm a loser!!!
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

Glad you like it; I was pretty pleased with the quick results. As for your garage: no time like the present to start...if nothing else, get in there and do some organization and dust off those tools!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post

Quick peek here:

Robert
    Fantastic. Ain't that just the beauty of these cameras, you can make many of your own components and attachments with scraps from the shed.

Did you etch/sand the glass yourself as well?

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYnomad View Post
    Fantastic. Ain't that just the beauty of these cameras, you can make many of your own components and attachments with scraps from the shed.
    Yes, that's definitely my favorite aspect of these cameras. The early models (mine are mk.1 [replaced at a discount due to a manufacturing defect] and mk.2 of the 4x5 and mk.1 of the 8x10) have their idiosyncrasies -- mostly adjustments not always tending to stay where you set them -- but are useable at least, and so basic that you can modify (or repair or replace!) just about anything on them, which is a real plus. Not to mention how light they are, which encourages me to take them on my bike, even the 8x10...

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYnomad View Post
    Did you etch/sand the glass yourself as well?
    I did. I bought some grit (originally sourced from a homebrew telescope supply, I believe, a mix of silicon carbide and aluminum zirconia) from the FS section from a fellow who'd ground as many glasses as he needed, and I now seem to have a lifetime supply. Which is good, because I've ground several glasses for homebrew cameras and backs, and had one or two break that needed replacing, and I expect there will be more in the future. It only takes about 20-30 minutes (well, the 11x14 glass took longer), and I like the resulting glass better than some of the commercial ones I have.

Robert

Great job, Robert!

Thank you!

Robert