Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maintaining 68° with tankless water heater

Drew Wiley

Re: Maintaining 68° with tankless water heater

Incoming water too hot? Blend with a cold water drip line or accurate mixing valve. Ambient air too hot? Use a surrounding temepered water jacket with a blue ice brick in it, and if necessary either a cold or hot water drip line. Cheaper to do than running an energy-intensive water-chiller or thermoregulator.

Yes - this house has AC AND Swamp Coolers. We decommissioned the swamp coolers because they made the place so damp.

Inside temp averages about 74 - 75 but gets close to 80 in the summer, which can work, but times are pretty short. I have a couple of small plate heater/coolers (depending on polarity) so i was thinking of building a temperature controller. The Jobo has a heater, but alas, no cooler. Of course I could hang a bucket of ice water but I'd like a little more aesthetically pleasing solution (or rather, my wife wants one - I could care less what it looks like)

Mark,

You don't need huge volumes of tempered water. Just enough to mix chemicals at first, and then enough for washing your film later. You can make a sinkful on demand whenever you need more; you don't need five gallons of storage. I had a two-gallon plastic basin that I used, but I could have got by with just mixing a couple liters at a time as needed.

FWIW, I don't think any kind of temperature regulator is going to work well with a tankless water heater; they're just too variable at low flow rates.

The best solution, if you have room, would be a dedicated small-tank water heater for use for your photo needs. Second-best is mixing tempered water.

Best,

Doremus