Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting overhead (90 degree angle) with Sinar F1?

Re: Shooting overhead (90 degree angle) with Sinar F1?

I used an F/F2 pointed straight down to make this photo. I used a bit of rise on the front standard to move the field of view far enough to avoid the tripod legs. The tripod was a big Manfrotto (3036 legs, I think) with a Sinar tilt head. The legs were not extended, but the 90mm lens could find them anyway.

I was in the attic room of a house built in the 1740’s on an island off Cape Cod, and it was hot. The biggest challenge was not dripping sweat on the ground glass and the loupe.

Movements took a long time to get right, with a bit of tilt and swing both to align the focal plane to the edges of the steps.

The takeaway for general application is the use of front rise to avoid the tripod feet.

Rick “15-second exposure or something like that” Denney

Great image Rick!
    Tin Can

I made a copy stand from an old DeJur enlarger (which I got on craigslist for $20) by removing the head, which was held on by a 1/4-20 bolt.
    Too bad DeJur left the photo equipment industry to get into the Soup business.

Quote Originally Posted by voy View Post
    Thank you, what tripod is this? It doesn't need to be that high but this is pretty much what I've been looking for.
    It is a Gitzo 2530 with a Manfrotto 131 Lateral Arm and a 10-lb sandbag counterweight. The Gitzo 3-series is sturdier and would be better if you need to go higher. If I need more height instead of extending the legs more, I will put the tripod on a low platform made of a 3/4" plywood on top of 4 apple boxes.