Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Portraits from 2021

Re: Portraits from 2021

Thanks Ben. Frustrating hey

Hi Jim, Thank you. �� I did some digital shots to fine tune the lighting and they came out beautiful. I think I was rushing because it was quite warm and I knew it was getting uncomfortable for her. Practice practice practice

Yes a great way to get fast feedback

I have a close friend that is very difficult to satisfy with any portrait

I finally rigged a 32" monitor in vertical, hung on a Arkay Studio which she could see closely, tethered to DSLR

and I gave her the remote trigger, so she could shoot herself, I left her alone

Still not happy, it seems many prefer the mirror image

I have also had men that were just as difficult, most were movie film makers...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Thoroughly beautiful! If you have to take too long with 4x5, try a shoot with small format so you can shoot faster and informally. Then, based on those photos, fine tune the best with the 4x5. A digicam hooked to a large monitor is today's shortcut to the Polaroid test shots from long ago, and gives instant feedback.
    Tin Can

Waiting to Travel by Toby Key, on Flickr

I shot this at Hayling Island beach railway. A funny little narrow gauge train that runs up and down the beachfront, with stations every few hundred yards. A real throwback to the 50's or 60's.

Wowww! It turned out amazing. I keep seeing the Veritos everywhere and I still can't decide to use extra money to buy one. I have a 5x7, but the idea is to star with ULF soon...so, the bigger the format, the more parts of my body I will have to sell to buy amazing lenses like this, with bigger coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicaf16 View Post
    Attachment 219825
    Speed Graphic with 9” Verito Fomopan 100 D76 1:3
    It’s not perfect. I always feel like I’m taking too long and holding up the sitter so I start to rush and ultimately forget something.

Shot number four

Intrepid 8x10 + Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 300/5.6

Fomapan 100@160 + Caffenol-CM(RS)

These Symmar lenses are terrible aren't they? Look, everything is out of focus except her face! Terrible. You should trade it for something that'll get everything in focus.

Honestly, I don't know how you do it. Do you ask them to stay still for like 8 minutes while you focus? Cause it takes me that long just to focus something static!

Quote Originally Posted by szadow View Post

Shot number four

Intrepid 8x10 + Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 300/5.6

Fomapan 100@160 + Caffenol-CM(RS)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    These Symmar lenses are terrible aren't they? Look, everything is out of focus except her face! Terrible. You should trade it for something that'll get everything in focus.

Honestly, I don't know how you do it. Do you ask them to stay still for like 8 minutes while you focus? Cause it takes me that long just to focus something static!
    I first measure the light, then set up the frame and and make I rough focusing. I then pose the subject, and one I am done with it it takes me less then a minute to take the shot (fine tuning the foces, putting in the holder...) I also educate my subjects that, after we settle a pose, they have to remain still. They do not have to freeze completly, but they should not change the position of their head. It wokrs 95% of the time. It takes me a minute longer if I have to fine tune the tilt or/and swing.

Thanks Agustin, there are a few Verito 18” lenses for sale at the moment that are quite reasonably priced. They will cover at least 11x14, possibly bigger. You can remove the front element which gives you 30” from memory. They are much cheaper than the Universal Heliar.

Foamer

Menno, South Dakota
    Menno Pioneer Power Show
    I've never had much interest in studio photography such as portraits. For me the point of photography is it's an excuse to roam.🙂 When out roaming the backroads I do come across some interesting people and love spending some time hearing their stories. Country folks are generally friendly and cooperative--it's a tradition. Once I get to know them a little I can usually take a nice portrait of them doing what they love. These are the kinds of photos I like to take.👍
    I brought my largest camera, a Kodak 2D 8x10 (1921) with a 300mm Velostigmat lens in Betax shutter (1920s), plus Reis 100-2 tripod & J250 head. Film was Ilford FP4+, ISO 125.

Ken tin SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MNO2d2.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!